Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Baking Day

I did my first library volunteering session in over a week this morning. I stacked overflow books that had just been returned on wheeled carts to be put away later and did the children's DVDs. I stopped by Super Fresh after that for mushrooms (which I'd forgotten to get yesterday), leeks (which are cheaper there), and fresh bunched spinach (which the Acme doesn't carry).

After I dropped off my vegetables, I headed over to Dad's to do my laundry. It was quiet at Dad's today. Jessa was in school, Jodie was at work, Uncle Ken is still on vacation, and Dad was working on draining the pool. (Which confirms my suspicion that yes, pool season is over.)

I spent the rest of the evening baking. I missed baking. Lauren and her folks aren't into cooking and generally buy their goodies. I enjoy mixing and creating recipes...and tasting the results. I added applesauce and a bruised pear and peach to Duncan Hines' Spice Cake Mix, and while the results were very soft and a bit messy, they sure tasted good. I also made a simple whole wheat bread recipe from the classic Betty Crocker Cookbook that smelled absolutely divine in the oven. (You can't beat ol' Betty Crocker.)

No comments: