Sunday, September 21, 2008

Rumble In the Keystone State

I had a late start today after staying up late with Lauren and the WENN chat last night. I basically just had enough time to call Mom and say "hi" before heading to work. Mom was fine. Dad was home; Keefe was in the shower. Their neighborhood had been having a block party this weekend, and they'd all joined in and had a marvelous time.

For once, work wasn't a problem, either. Everyone was in a good mood, possibly because of the lovely, upper-70s-and-sunny weather and the big football game later in the afternoon. I was in and out with no problems; my relief was on time. After I got out, I went straight home and straight over to Dad and Uncle Ken's for the 4:15 game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers, bringing a pan of Banana-Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and my WebKinz eagle Westbrook.

I'd forgotten that Uncle Ken and Dolores are still away in Florida, and will for at least another week. It was just Dad, Jodie, Jessa, Brittany, Mark, and a friend of Dad's, Pete. They ordered pizza and Jodie made chili and bought French bread from the Acme, so there was some food. Jodie and I chatted a bit on the porch during the second quarter, but I did watch most of the game, leaving towards the end of the fourth quarter when it became quite apparent that the Eagles were beating the Steelers' quarterback to a pulp and they were probably going to win. (I later discovered at home that yes, they did win, 15-6.) Unfortunately, we lost star running back Brian Westbrook in the first quarter; as of this second, it doesn't look like he'll play Chicago next week. The Eagles have a week off afterwards that'll hopefully allow him to rest.

In other football news, Dad's struggling Miami Dolphins managed a miracle earlier this afternoon. They handed the New England Patriots their first loss in the regular season since 2006, dominating a game that apparently shocked fans and delighted my father, who'd been calling the Dolphins "embarrassingly high school" for the past few weeks.

No comments: