Saturday, April 04, 2009

Easter Egg Hunt and Other Spring Tales

The electrician came by this morning while Strawberry Shortcake was on. He was really sweet. He did install an electrical outlet in the bathroom. He tested the outlet next to the air conditioner while I was running errands in the neighborhood. Apparently, it does and can work, so he didn't do anything to it.

Today's Strawberry episode dealt with Angel Cake. She always wants everything to be "positively perfect"...even the games she plays. Trouble is, life doesn't always work like that, even in Strawberryland. When practicing until she becomes weary and throwing a fit doesn't make her a great player, she stomps out. It isn't until she learns a lesson from toddler Apple Dumplin' about having fun with sports that she can rejoin the other kids...and really enjoy the games.

The Care Bears also taught lessons about the importance of work and play...and separating the two. Their two little cloud friends wanted to play, but the Care Bears were busy cleaning. The two mischievous clouds speed up the Care-A-Lot Clock, but it only makes the bears work faster...and make more mistakes. It takes a little messing with time to show the clouds the virtue of work before play.

I saw Oaklyn's Easter Egg Hunt in the park as The Care Bears were finishing up, so I stopped there first. It was a windy, chilly, blustery day, mostly sunny, but with lots of big clouds in the sky. The wind was really whipping something fierce, which wasn't helping anyone with the search for plastic colored eggs. This year, the "Easter Bunny" was joined by a girl in a pink wig, tiara, multi-colored stockings, and tutu. I haven't the faintest idea of what she was supposed to be - some kind of weird spring fairy?

There were a whole bunch of signs on the old electrical post on the White Horse Pike advertising the first yard sales of the year. I headed to one after I did the bank. I bought a large, vintage-style Birthday Bear Care Bear at the one on Clinton Avenue. I wandered around looking for more, but finally went home instead.

I dropped Birthday Bear in my bedroom, grabbed my bag for groceries, and headed to the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. Had debated going to Wal Mart to see if they had a splitter for my phone and internet (I broke the old one when I tripped over the phone cord), but Wal Mart is always a madhouse on Saturdays. I opted for a much quieter Staples instead. Stopped at FYE across the parking lot to buy a birthday present for my sister Rose and see if they had a WebKinz groundhog for my best friend Lauren, who can't find one in Pittsfield. No luck with the groundhog, but I did get Rose her birthday present and found a used copy of the original cast of the Broadway musical version of La Cage Aux Follies for me.

The Acme was steady but not really busy, and I was able to buy what I needed fairly quickly. Came home with fruit spread, peanut butter, granola bars, yogurt (plain and flavored), kiwi, bananas, celery, unbleached white flour, and grapefruit.

Though it was still a sunny, bright day when I finally got home around quarter after 2, and most of the clouds were gone by this point, it was also very, very windy. We got fifty-miles-an-hour gusts for most of the day. I briefly debated a long trip, or at least a long walk, but finally decided I'd done enough this week and just spent the rest of the afternoon at home, watching YouTube videos of vintage Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite specials.

No comments: