Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Return of Indiana Jones

Got a late start again and didn't get to the library until around noon. The kids' DVDs were really looking bad, so I organized them and put away the large load of adult DVDs. Weeded out some more PG movies, too, The Ant Bully and several Yu-Gi-Oh collections. I made quick stops at AC Moore, Super Fresh, and Dollar Tree to find some sale items and items for Easter, then rode home.

Spent the rest of the afternoon baking Hot Cross Buns for Easter, cleaning the bathroom, and watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The Hot Cross Buns came out really, really well. I wanted to make something for my cousins' Easter dinner besides cake after at least two other people besides me brought cake along last year. Actually, I'd wanted to make them some kind of Easter bread last year, but I ran out of time.

The bathroom came out pretty well, too. I did the bathroom itself this evening. I'll scrub the floor and wash the blinds tomorrow.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't bad, either. I haven't the faintest notion of what everyone was complaining about last year or why this film received such mixed reviews. I think a lot of people may have been expecting way too much. I'm actually glad I didn't get to see this until now; distancing myself from the hype and expectations may have helped me enjoy it a bit more. Yes, the plot's goofy and doesn't make a lot of sense, the actors are hamming it up (and a few are underused), and some of the action sequences stretch the point of credibility just a tad, even for this series. (I thought the thing with Shia LaBouf and the monkeys was cute. It was the opening with Indy in the refrigerator that seemed like a bit too much for me.)

Honestly, who cares? It's still a fun ride, and Harrison Ford is still an awesome Indy. How can you hate a guy who was your first crush? I will add, however, that Spielburg and Lucas would be wise to stop here. This was fun, but let's not tempt the fates.

No comments: