Saturday, April 25, 2009

Too Darn HOT!

This is ridiculous. It is NOT supposed to be 90 degrees in April in New Jersey. (Yells up to the heavens) When I said I wanted it to get warmer, this isn't what I had in mind!

Yes, it was almost 90 degrees, sunny, and breezy here in Southern New Jersey. It was probably just as well that I spent the warmest part of the day working. Work was generally a lot easier than the last few days, steady but not too busy, with plenty of help. There were a few annoying customers towards the end. One couple fussed when they thought a two-pack of Raid was $4.49...but the sign under where they'd supposedly found them was for the single cans. Someone must have put the pack in the wrong place. Another man obsessively asked me about every price and couldn't tell that 128 oz equals one gallon.

Did my weekly grocery shopping after I got off. Acme's having a sale where you can get certain small items for $.25 each if you buy four of them and your order is over $25. I got toilet paper, kiwi, and cans of no-salt tomato sauce as part of the sale. I also grabbed grapefruit, apples, tomatoes, bananas, celery, yogurt (Acme Light Pina Colada Yogurt - yum!), the 18-pack of eggs (another good sale this week), and a box of granola bars that were on sale and I had a coupon for.

After I got in and put everything away, I changed into shorts, one of my new t-shirts, and sandals, and went for a quick walk to the bank to deposit this week's paycheck in the ATM machine. Despite the heat, it was a nice walk. There were a surprising amount of people outside, enjoying walks now that the worst of the heat had passed. I even heard kids splashing in a pool! The scenery was gorgeous, too. The lilacs are blooming, the tulips are stunning, the dogwood is so pretty, and the pale green leaves on the trees are coming in nicely.

Watched X-Men this morning before Strawberry Shortcake (which turned out to be a repeat, anyway, the one about Sea Berry telling a story about mermaids who get greedy over a treasure). I was really impressed. I'm not normally fond of the Marvel comics heroes, but these guys were a lot of fun to watch...and made you think. I especially loved the completely adorable teacher-student relationship between lone-wolf X-Man Wolverine and frightened newcomer Rogue. That was one of the sweetest and most touching things I've ever seen in an action movie.

Watched Tiny Toon Adventures this evening. For all the dated references (Sweetie Bird mentions the Evander Holyfield-Robin Gibbons fight of the early 90s at one point), this show is still a lot of fun if you're old enough to get the gags about dating and finding jobs...and are better-written than some of the original Looney Tunes in some ways.

No comments: