Friday, May 13, 2011

Bad Luck Balance

Hi, everyone. For once, the internet wasn't the reason I didn't post last night. Blogger was down all through last night and well into this morning. In fact, it was still down before I left today. I was surprised to see it working tonight.

I did get to yoga yesterday. We mostly concentrated on working our legs. It wasn't too hard until we tried some balancing poses. I don't know why I can't balance or why I'm not flexible enough to hold myself up the way most other people can. I've been doing this for three years. You'd think I would have developed some flexibility by now!

Went straight to the Collingswood Library after that. I put away DVDs and organized the shelves. Looked up a few books on musicals upstairs in the non-fiction section that had chapters on early talkie musicals.

Went home after a stop at WaWa for water and a pretzel. I spent what time I had left having lunch and watching the end of Love Me Tonight. Work last night was no problem at all, on-and-off busy. After I got home, I spent the rest of the evening playing WebKinz, talking to Lauren, and watching clips of those old musicals on YouTube.

I stayed up late last night because I assumed I'd be able to sleep in today. I did...and twenty minutes after I got up, guess who called? "Can you come in today? We need someone to work 1-7."

I wanted to say "no." I wanted to enjoy my other day off. Of course I said yes. I need the extra hours - my original hours still weren't great this week. Besides, I was going to go in to get my paycheck and groceries today. I COULDN'T say no.

I did get a walk in before work. I went down Goff Avenue, then trooped around in the area behind Kendall Boulevard going towards the Black Horse Pike. An attractive gold and white cat followed me down Ridgeway. He was awfully affectionate for what I assumed to be a feral cat. He rubbed his head around my ankles and let me pet him. Most of the feral cats run away the moment they see me, but not this fellow. He even let me stroke his head and back. He was probably hoping I'd give him some cat treats or tuna, but alas, I had none on me.

Went to work not long after that. As frustrating as the last-minute request was, they did have their reasons. First of all, there was a call-out. Second, our new front-end manager is still getting used to our store, and our schedule was weird. We didn't have nearly enough people up front, even without the call-out. I was very happy to turn my line over to a manger at 7 (I had no relief, of course).

Since I had a small and late lunch, I thought I'd try the new Chinese buffet on the other side of the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. Last year, more stores were added on to the far side where Staples is. This includes a kids' clothing store, Monster Pets, Lucile Roberts, the Halloween store in the fall, and Happy Buffet.

Happy Buffet is a larger, slightly more elaborate version of Hunan's Chinese Buffet, my family's long-time favorite Oriental restaraunt in Rio Grande. A lovely entrance with a sculptured waterfall lead to a simple, teal-and-maroon serving area. The buffet was huge, with tons of choices. There were twice as many items as Hunan's had. My first plate had tiny hot dogs wrapped in bacon, spring rolls, Chinese chicken on a stick, Persian Cucumber Salad, and a small portion of fried calamari. For my "main meal," I tried a little "grand fish," some mussels (I used to looove Hunan's mussels), a little coconut shrimp, and a spoonful of spring peas. Everything was quite good...but not enough to warrant the $14.99 that the one adult buffet and a glass of iced tea came to. I'll only eat there on special occasions or when I'm REALLY craving Chinese.

I headed back to the Acme after dinner. I needed groceries. Not as much as usual, but there were a few things I had to restock. I really needed butter...but butter's expensive, even the stick spreads. I ended up with Acme's spread quarters. I hope they work for baking. They were having a decent sale on chicken breasts, so I picked up a pack. Picked up cooking spray, butter, and yogurt as well.

Other than my good luck with the found money and ordering the MacDonald/Eddy films, this has been a very frustrating week. Next week should be somewhat better. On one hand, I'm going to have to wake up really early to hit the farm market next Saturday, too. On the other hand, I have Monday and Tuesday off. That should give me a chance to at least hit the Oaklyn Library, get some things done at home, and possibly ride over to Haddonfield.

No comments: