Thursday, May 05, 2011

Feliz Cumpleanos to a Great Uncle

Unlike yesterday, it was sunny and bright when I went to work this morning. It was warmer than yesterday, too, though it remains windy. Work was quiet when I came in; I had enough time to help shelve candy. By 4PM, the crowds were coming in spurts. This was a problem when my relief seemed to be late. A manager was nice enough to come in for me.

This time, I went straight home. There was something I wanted to do this afternoon. When I finally got in, I changed into a regular shirt. I cut the loaf of Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread I made yesterday in half and signed Uncle Ken's birthday card, then went for a walk to his house.

Uncle Ken is not having an easy time of it lately. Not only is there a lot of tension between his girlfriend Dolores, my dad, and Dad's girlfriend Jodie...but Uncle Ken has cancer. Bad cancer. Bad as in "he may only have a year or so to live" cancer. He, Dolores, and her daughter and grandson were there when I arrived. Dolores was making everyone burgers, including Uncle Ken. Uncle Ken was happy to see me and loved the card I gave him, but he seemed tired. He'd been in chemotherapy since 8:30 this morning. Dolores confirmed this when I joined her and her family in the kitchen. She also said Dad's coming home from his cruise ship job tomorrow. I'll try to get to seeing him tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

After I headed back to my place, I continued this month's cleaning. The windows really needed to be done. I didn't do them last month. The treatments needed to be dusted, too, especially the ones facing the sides of the house where the wind blows in pollen.

Ran two more first season Psych episodes during dusting and dinner. "Weekend Warriors," in which Shawn discovers who killed one of Captain Lassiter's Civil War re-enactors, was the better of the two. "Who Ya Gonna Call," which had a man who thinks he's being haunted call Shawn and Gus to rid him of whatever is plaguing him, was just plain weird...especially what the "ghost" turns out to be.

No comments: