Monday, May 30, 2011

Hot Memorial Day

First of all, Happy Memorial Day to all of our people in the Armed Forces, past and present. Alas, my Memorial Day wasn't nearly as exciting as last year, when Lauren visited for that week. She is visiting here again, but not until the end of next month. I spent the morning going through more data CDs instead. I was able to salvage a bunch of fanfics for Perfect Strangers, two for Sailor Moon, and most of my Remember WENN stories, including the last couple of stories in the "Edge of the Precipice" series and three of my "spoofs."

Work was a total madhouse today. It took me a while to figure out why. Why were people shopping on a holiday, and one that was during a major heat wave to boot? Because we're getting close to the beginning of the month and a lot of folks are just getting their usual money. I didn't get my break until quarter of 4...and I was done at 5!

I bought yogurt and went right home after work. When I got in, I put the yogurt away, changed into regular clothes, put my work uniform and the rest of my laundry in a bag, and rode over to the laundromat. I'd meant to do it this morning, but I slept too late. I'm actually glad I put it off. It was a little bit cooler by 6PM, which meant the laundromat was tolerable...and dead as a doornail. There was one other young lady, the old woman in charge, and two local newscasts (channel 6 and channel 10) talking about various Memorial Day activities. I was in and out in less than an hour, even with extra towels in the mix.

I made beef quesadillas for dinner while watching the Donald Duck In the Army cartoons. From 1942 to 1944, Disney made a series of cartoons depicting Donald's misadventures as a private in the World War II Armed Services. The most famous of these, Der Fuhrer's Face, went beyond the Army misadventures. Donald finds himself in a surreal nightmare when he dreams he's a citizen in Nazi Germany. Freaky and frightening yet bitterly comic, Der Fuhrer is in a class by itself. It earned Disney the Academy Award for Best Animated Short in 1943. The theme song was a huge hit in its own right, thanks to the gag-filled version by popular comic orchestra Spike Jones and his City Slickers. I actually do remember seeing this from time to time on the Disney Channel in the 80s, usually during a night show like Mouserpiece Theater where the context could be explained.

I ran the first half of the Bowery Boys movie Bowery Battalion while I was cleaning up from dinner. The Bowery Boys join the Army when they see a mock air drill and think New York's being raided. Needless to say, they're not very good soldiers. They're such bad soldiers, they find themselves in jail two times in less than twenty minutes. They get a chance to prove themselves when Louie, the owner of their favorite sweet shop, turns out to be the creator of a ray gun that the Army wants. The Boys are assigned to protect Louie...but can they rescue him from the spy ring that's after his design?

No comments: