Sunday, May 15, 2011

When the Sun Came Out

I slept in and awoke around 10 to cloudy skies and heavy humidity. It looked pretty much as it had yesterday. I made Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Pancakes for breakfast and listened to Brunch With the Beatles. They called the theme "Songs That Could Have Been Singles But Weren't." I call it "random songs from various eras." Under any circumstances, among the songs played today were "Michelle," "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends," "Dr. Robert," "Boys," "Tell Me Why," and "The Two of Us." I tried calling Mom around 11:30; ended up leaving a message.

Headed for work around 12:30. Thanks to the still iffy weather and the plethora of events this weekend, the Acme was even busier than yesterday. There were very long lines at every register all afternoon. Many high schools had their proms this weekend. The five colleges in the area (Drexel, Temple, Rowan, Rutgers, and Camden County College) had their graduations this week. Others had planned family get-togethers and barbecues before the weather forecasts came in. It didn't help that we were short on cashiers. One of the managers ended up calling someone from the back to take one register around 2:30, and someone from the bakery came in for me so I could go home.

It was still a little cloudy when I rode home...but by the time I arrived at the apartment, the clouds were quickly vanishing. I tried calling Mom again when I got in. I did catch her this time. She'd apparently been in the shower when I called this morning. I told her about my long week, about the hours planned and unplanned, the extra $100, Haddon Township's emergency closing, and ordering the much-desired Naughty Marietta and Sweethearts. Keefe apparently had his prom this weekend; I could hear Mom give direction to him in the background as he rounded up his rented tux and shoes to return tomorrow.

I went for a short walk after Mom signed off. It was still warm and still humid, but there was a nice breeze. The clouds and thunder had been replaced by sunshine and birds singing in the distance. The flowers are gorgeous this year. The rose bushes in many gardens look like they're about to bloom, and I've never seen the irises look lovelier.

Went home for leftover chicken burgers and spinach salad after my walk. I just listened to records. I tried to get on for The Dress Circle, but the Internet went down twice in less than an hour. I'm so fed up with Verizon. I don't want to call them. They keep resetting my account, which is just annoying. I need to find another company that won't give me so much trouble. Sprint maybe, or Earthlink? I've heard Comcast's customer service is even worse.

No comments: