Sunday, May 08, 2011

To All Mothers...

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers, including those whose children are four-legged or feathered. ;)

I slept in this morning as much as possible. I didn't get to calling my mother until around 11, after a breakfast of sweet potato pancakes and farm market grapefruit. Mom was tired but seemed pretty happy. She'd spent the weekend working in her garden and was getting ready to do more. She was the only one home. Dad finally went out fishing. Keefe was out with his girlfriend Vicki. Anny was with her own sons; she figured they'd call later.

I asked Mom if she'd gotten the card I sent. She said no, but she hadn't opened Saturday's mail, either. She brought the card in and opened it while we were on the phone. She was really thrilled with it; considering how long it took me to find one I liked for her at work, I'm happy she's happy.

Mom said she assumed the Acme would be dead today. Boy, was she wrong. We were packed for almost the entire afternoon. We were also short on help; there were call-outs, which resulted in long lines. Thankfully, the holiday and weather that was even nicer than yesterday's put everyone in a good mood. I was in and out of the store with no problems other than being tired.

I spent the rest of the evening reading A Song In the Dark and listening to CDs. I got so caught up in it, I was late starting my flounder and sauteed broccoli dinner...which means I was late getting in the shower...which means I was late listening to The Dress Circle. I did get to hear the last 15 minutes on a show on Frank Loesser's Hollywood music. My favorite number by far was a marvelous duet between Shirley Ross and Bob Hope, "Two Sleepy People," from the 1938 movie Thanks For the Memory.

No comments: