Monday, May 16, 2011

Change In Weather, Change In Plans

It was supposed to be stormy all day. It never did anything of the sort. It was cloudy for most of the day, and the sun actually came out this afternoon. While it remained humid, the wind felt nice and the temperatures never went above the mid-upper 60s. There wasn't even the tiniest rumble of thunder.

I took this as a sign that today would be the perfect day for outdoor errands. My first stop was the laundromat to get this week's load done. Unlike last week, it never got busy. There were two people when I arrived and a college student and a mother and her adorable, laughing toddler son when I left. I had no problems getting a washer or a dryer at all.

I was originally going to hang out at the apartment and in Oaklyn today and run errands tomorrow. Since the weather was as nice as it's going to get this week, I decided to reverse my plans and do my running around today. My first stop (after passing through a busy Newton River Park - yes, I stayed on the bike this time) was the Haddon Township Library. Yes, I know they're still closed. The book drops are open, though. I slid all of the books I'd taken out but the two books on writing that I'm reading at the moment into the slots. (I'll return the DVDs when I can get in the library again. I don't trust them in the book drops.)

The Crystal Lake Diner is on the hillside under the library. I headed over there for lunch. It's your basic diner, with large booths, small chandeliers, a counter with displays of sugary pastries and huge cakes, and mirrors at the end of the rooms. I had a garden omelet with mushrooms, onions, and peppers and whole wheat toast.

(The exterior also looked pretty typical...except for some really pretty rose bushes in full bloom. My favorites were the lavender roses and the enormous yellowish-white ones with bright pink tips.)

I rode down Cuthbert and through Westmont, heading for Haddonfield. I didn't linger there like I have on my previous trips. There was only one reason I wanted to hit Haddonfield today. The Happy Hippo Toy Shop is one of the few toy and gift shops in Camden County that still sells the newest WebKinz. I found the one I'd wanted badly since it's announcement a few months ago, the Grizzly Bear.

(And this is it for WebKinz for me unless they release another really nice non-Signature bear.)

Decided to try something slightly different going home. Instead of taking the back roads in Haddonfield and Westmont, I just rode down Haddon Avenue. I passed some lovely little stores - cafes, antique shops, hair salons, and the like - that reminded me a lot of Washington Street in Cape May.

Though it wasn't hot, the ride against the wind and the windbreaker I was wearing (just in case it did rain) left me sweating. I decided to cool off with a water ice from Primo in Westmont. I had their Vanilla Chip. Not bad - sweet Vanilla water ice with white chocolate chips. And I wasn't the only one who enjoyed a treat today. A mother brought in her son and daughter for after-school ice cream cones, while another woman bought a water ice.

After a quick stop at Walgreens on the next block over from Primo, I went straight home (partially via Newton River Park again). I didn't go back out, but I did get my porch swept. The fuzzies have been bad this year, and I thought it would help the porch dry quicker if they were eliminated.

I wanted to watch the That's Entertainment Part II video while making Chocolate Chip-Strawberry Muffins, but I just couldn't get it to work. I kept fast-forwarding it and rewinding it, and all I ever saw was snow. I ran Hey, Mr. Producer! and The Cat In the Hat in its' place, and they work just fine. The tape must either be old or have been poorly stored.

Oh, and meet Bernice the Grizzly Bear! This lovable mountain woman is either going to move into the new Fruit Room or become the roommate of Helios the Golden Pegasus (who still lives alone in the World Cup Soccer room).

No comments: