Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy's Day

Happy Father's Day to all dads, including those whose children are four-legged or feathered. I began today with blueberry pancakes, Brunch With the Beatles, and a call to my dad (and mom) in Cape May County. Brunch covered the Beatles' break-up in 1970. That meant we primarily heard songs from Let It Be ("I Me Me Mine," "The Long and Winding Road," "The Two of Us," the title song) and the Beatles' early solo efforts ("Instant Kharma," "Maybe I'm Amazed").

Called the family in Cape May County after finishing my pancakes. I was very happy to get Dad first! I got to wish him happy Father's Day. He had a very nice morning. His wife, son, and grandson took him out to a breakfast brunch in Cape May that's very popular. His leg is improving as well; he no longer needs the cane. He'll be going back to the doctor's for more tests on his blood pressure tomorrow.

Also got to talk to Mom. She was doing what I did two weeks ago; going through old material on CDs and floppy disks. In her case, the material in question were posters, flash cards, and other visual aids she made for the Mitnick Elementary School when she worked there around 2003-2005. Poor Skylar got a workbook filled with homework that he needs to do during the summer! Though Mom and I agree that the very idea is ridiculous - summer vacation is for REST - the school insists that it's necessary and must be done. Mom thought some visuals would help Sky.

Spent the rest of the morning beginning all the things I need to do in preparation for Lauren's visit on Thursday. I went through the things I've put in the back for donations. Lauren wants to go through it and see if there's anything she can use. Most of the clothes and shoes will probably be deposited in the clothes drops in the back of the Acme. The videos, books, and CDs will be given to the three local libraries I volunteer for to stock their book sales. I don't know what to do with the other random items and toys I no longer want now that the thrift shop is gone. Maybe I'll see if someone can drive me up to Goodwill or can recommend another near-by thrift shop.

I also started the dusting. I've been putting off the major spring dusting to closer to Lauren's visit. I had just enough time to do the music and dining sections of the living area today. My living room is so big, it's separated into three sections: the dining area (where the table is), the music area (record player, CD player, CDs, records, books on entertainment, the antique dresser that holds odds and ends) and the entertainment area (baker's rack, TV, DVD player, VCR, DVDs, videos, rack for my aprons and blue backpack). I dusted the chairs and washed the table top. Removed the floral cloth I use for the coffee table in the music area to be washed with the rest of the laundry tomorrow. Removed the books on my plastic shelves and dusted under and behind them. Dusted under some of the records and CDs. (Others are in rough wood crates that are too rough to really dust.) Dusted on and under the record player and CD/cassette player and the antique dresser.

I just barely had enough time to grab a Peanut Butter and Strawberry Raspberry Butter sandwich before dashing off to work. Good thing I made it right on time. We were crazy-busy all day long, with lines going out the door and not nearly enough help. I was late leaving because one of the two other cashiers took forever coming back from break, the lines were too long to leave one cashier, and the managers were doing other things.

When I got in, I had leftovers for dinner and listened to the last 20 minutes or so of The Dress Circle. My favorite of the parents-themed songs for Father's Day was another winner from the Unsung Irving Berlin CD set, "I'm On My Way Home," apparently intended for the 1930 Al Jolson vehicle Mammy.

No comments: