Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pop Goes the Farm Market

I actually got Lauren out around 9:30 this morning for my weekly farm market/yard sale run. We saw a sign for a yard sale at West Park Avenue going into Audubon yesterday. Lauren didn't find anything, but I picked up two CD books and a video copy of Ducktails: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. (Ducktails is currently only available on DVD as a Disney Movie Club exclusive.) I'm hoping to make more room for my growing record collection by loading the CDs into books instead of crates. Pre-recorded DVDs will stay in their own boxes for now, but home-made ones will eventually go into books as well.

We briefly checked out one more yard sale on the way to Collingswood, but it was mostly kids' toys, nothing of interest to either of us. The Farm Market was as busy as always. Encouraged by picture-perfect, lower-80s-breezy-and-sunny weather, I imagine many people had barbecues today or held their graduation parties outdoors. Lauren got her favorite red raspberries and apple butter for her parents. I bought cherries, blueberries, honey, apricots from the wholesaler, and I picked up sugar-free apple butter for my sister Rose, who requested it yesterday.

We made a pit-stop at the Collingswood Library, then went over to the PATCO to take the train to Haddonfield. I promised Lauren I'd take her to the British Chip Shop for lunch. She loves British Invasion bands. We both had the same Chip Shop Sandwich and mountain of greens with malt vinegar and oil I had a few months ago. She had lemonade soda; I had black currant soda. (We were far too hot for tea!) The sandwiches were once again excellent, crispy and slightly sweet and made with mustard that was so spicy, it cleared our sinuses. We both agreed that we'd rather have a pile of fresh, earthy greens drizzled with vinegar and oil than greasy fries or chips!

After lunch, we made our way across Kings Highway to the Happy Hippo Toy Shop. For once, I didn't see anything I liked. Lauren bought a large set of basic Legos that were just Legos, not something belonging to a set or series. She said she'd been looking for a basic set like that for a long time. Apparently, she still has all of her childhood Legos.

There wasn't really much else in Haddonfield that interested us. We just hopped the PATCO back to Collingswood. Besides, I wanted to introduce Lauren to a special treat. The Pop Shop, a very popular 50s-style diner in Collingswood, is renown for their amazing ice cream creations. Their milkshakes have literally won awards from local magazines. They were dealing with the tail end of a noisy lunch crowd when we came in, but we did find seats at the counter. She had chocolate ice cream with marshmallow topping. I had a "Strawberry Blonde" - strawberry ice cream with strawberry syrup in seltzer. I went to the bathroom...and came out to find a glass of pink froth gushing all over the counter! It was a big mess, but a very tasty mess, sweet and cool and VERY strawberry. Lauren enjoyed her ice cream, too.

By this point, we were hot and tired and sweaty. Other than one quick peek at another yard sale with nothing of interest, we went straight home. Spent the rest of the afternoon playing games, listening to records, and watching movies at my place. I finally made that fish I was going to do yesterday for our dinner, along with mashed turnips and sauteed zucchini. Dessert was Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Pie.

We're back online in my living room again, listening to Monkees CDs. Tomorrow...we're just going to hang out at my place after two long walks in a row. I was thinking we could sleep in as long as possible and have a picnic in the park for lunch.

No comments: