Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Strawberry Flummery Forever

I spent most of this lovely late-spring day at work. Today was my 7-hour shift. It was on-and-off steady, not too busy. This was hardly a surprise on a gorgeous day in the middle of the week. I suspect the only reason we were steady at all is a lot of kids will be getting out of school tomorrow, and their mothers want to stock their pantries with snacks and lunch items. Other than a few annoying customers (including one guy who sent me chasing after rotisserie chickens because he couldn't be bothered reading the right name of the chicken that's $5.99), the day was fine and went quickly. It was dead by 6, allowing me to sign off on time despite my relief being one of the college boys with two jobs who is always late.

Went straight home after dinner. I had leftover chicken and salad as I ran cartoons. For dessert, I decided to try something simple from Felicity's Cooking Studio. Apparently, Flummery - jelly-style fruit desserts - were popular in the Colonial era. Felicity's Raspberry Flummery recipe called for raspberries, water, sugar, and cornstarch. Simplest dessert in the book. I replaced the raspberries with the last of the late-season strawberries. Most of them were still soft from being squished in my backpack on Saturday, and many were too small for me to eat on shortcakes or dip into Cool Whip.

It came out quite well, other than I used too much sugar and it was too sweet. I didn't have three cups of strawberries and hardly needed six servings, anyway. I'll remember to use a quarter of what they call for.

No comments: