Sunday, June 12, 2011

Maybe I'm Amazed

After staying up late with Lauren last night, I slept until almost 10 this morning. When I got up, I put on Brunch With the Beatles. In honor of Paul McCartney's birthday later this week, his solo and Wings songs were in the spotlight. My favorite Wings song is by far the theme song from the 1973 James Bond film "Live and Let Die." Others heard today included "Silly Love Songs," "With a Little Luck," "My Love," "Jet," and "Band on the Run."

I had Multi-Grain French Toast (with the last of the farm market Multi-Grain Bread), grapefruit, and strawberries for breakfast. Called Mom when I finished, towards the end of Brunch. Mom's busy this week, getting ready for my brother Keefe's graduation from Lower Cape May Regional High School. She's very proud of him right now, and he's thrilled, too...and so am I. He won first place at Lower's end-of-the-year show for all of the home economics and industrial shop classes. He made a scale model of a "green" apartment building, with gardens on every fifth floor and a big one on the roof.

He also won a service award from the Music Department. Mom says, in addition to being one of Lower's best drummers, he's done anything asked of him by the teachers at a moment's notice. He's helped organize recitals, made sets for this year's school musical, and was an usher at the school musicals and plays for several years. I am so unbelievably proud of him. I knew he'd find his way through high school if he just found his niche.

After that wonderful news, I didn't do much else. I swept the porch, which needed it after the last couple of major storms we had. I tried to figure out what to do about my eyes. They've been itchy and watery the past few days, probably thanks to all the pollen remaining in here...but the constant rubbing has made the left one in particular puffy and swollen. I decided to wear my glasses to work instead of contacts and just took allergy medicine.

Work was incredibly busy all day long. First of all, there's lots going on. Father's Day is a week from today. Most public schools finish out this week, and mothers were shopping accordingly for kids who would now be at home all day. There's graduations for the ten or so major high schools around here, too. There were also quite a few call-outs. Clouds threatened heavily at one point, which didn't help. (To my knowledge, it never rained.)

The call-outs apparently continue through the week. I picked up extra hours tomorrow, just and hour and a half. I also switched schedules with someone who wanted later hours on Friday and got the far preferable 12:30-5:30. I'll be able to get my groceries before dark and go out for dinner, too.

After work, I did a little shopping. I asked Mom what to get Keefe for his graduation this morning. Unlike most kids, he's going into the military, not college. He won't need cleaning or cooking or housekeeping items. Mom reminded me that he loved the iTunes card I gave him for his birthday, and he'll be doing a lot of traveling and will need music to keep him company. I ultimately ended up getting him another card. Bought a few other little things that I needed as well - batteries, a bag and a present for Lauren when she visits, a card for Keefe, bakery bread (I had a coupon, and bread made in the store's bakery is still better for you than factory-made bread).

1 comment:

Linda said...

iTunes is perfect. He won't be allowed to take much with him, especially to basic training. If he hasn't got his own cell phone, you could get him a phone calling card.