Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Philadelphia Pops

We headed for Collingswood around 10:30-11. It turned out to be perfect timing. It was just cloudy and humid when we headed out. We felt the first small drops of water when we were strolling under trees on Lakeview Avenue. By the time the rain was coming down in sheets, we were nice and dry, walking across the parking lot under the train tracks on our way to the PATCO Train Station.

Our first stop after we arrived in Philadelphia was the Gallery Mall. We briefly peeked at the Hallmark and FYE there to wait out the last of the rain. Finding nothing of interest at either store, we decided to brave the weather and head down the street for lunch.

When we came off the escalator at 10th and Market Street, the rain was gone and only a few puddles gave any indication that a shower had occurred. We followed the crowds a few blocks to Reading Terminal Market, the best place in downtown Philly for lunch. It was so busy, we ended up at the only place I could find two counter seats together - Pearl's Oyster Bar, the same counter I had lunch at on my birthday. I had the deviled crab cake sandwich. She had a bowl of lobster bisque that was so big, I was surprised there were no full-grown lobsters swimming in it. She ate the whole thing and said it was delicious.

Macy's across the street was a bit less crowded. Unlike my venture into Macy's at Christmas, there were no lines and lots of help. Lauren bought some sportswear she'd been looking for upstairs. I bought a desperately-needed pair of sandals. Rose and I bought the old pair together from the Macy's in the Deptford Mall about five or six years ago, a few days after I hurt my knee the second time. They'd done their job well, but the bottoms were falling apart. A sweet shoe seller in a black suit and a lovely lace head wrap helped me find the perfect pair, an incredibly comfortable set of brown sandals with thick soles, low heels, and heavy adjustable ankle and toe straps. Buying a Godiva chocolate bar allowed me to drop the price from $50 to about $43.

We went through City Hall and over to South Broad Street and the Avenue of the Arts after Macy's. We both browsed around FYE for almost an hour. Lauren bought a couple of comedies. I found well-priced used copies of The Rocketeer and Danger Mouse: The Complete Series, along with a good sale on the two-disc animated Wonder Woman movie that came out a few years ago.

The sun was out for good as we strode briskly down the Avenue of the Arts and the clouds were down to a few lacy puffs. However, the nasty humidity not only remained, but felt much worse than it had yesterday, and there was no breeze. I took Lauren to my favorite Starbucks on Broad Street that I often visit during the Mummers Parade (mostly because it's one of the only stores on Broad Street open during parades) to grab a quick drink and bathroom break. (We also had a brief peek at the gift shop for Philadelphia International Records.)

Our last stop in Philadelphia was Russakoff's Used Books in Washington Square, one of my favorite used book stores on the planet. They sell used DVDs now, too. Lauren and I both made good finds. Lauren bought a huge pile of Christopher Pike and similar young adult horror novels from the 90s along with the 60s Producers. I picked up a paperback copy of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and two Laurel and Hardy movies, The Devil's Brother and Bonnie Scotland.

There was a reason Russakoff's was our final destination in Philly. It's just a few doors down from the 10th Street and Locust PATCO terminal. We hopped on a very full train back to Collingswood.

Lauren had asked to return to the Pop Shop sometime this week. She liked the look of my ice cream soda so much, she wanted one of her own. I wasn't going to chance it after half of my soda ended up on the counter. This time, she bought an ice cream soda made with blue raspberry syrup, chocolate ice cream, and seltzer. I made my own sundae: two scoops of butter pecan ice cream drizzled with honey, with farm market-fresh blueberries, whipped cream, and two cherries on top.

Mine was heavenly; I love honey on ice cream, and the blueberries added just the right note. Lauren loved her ice cream soda. She also bought herself a Pop Shop shirt to add to her t-shirt collection.

Once again, we were sweating buckets and tired from walking. Time to go home. We didn't go straight back to my place this time, though. Lauren wanted to pick up some soda at CVS, and I bought graham crackers to replace the Fig Newtons cookies we'd both scarfed during the week. (The crackers turned out to be on sale.)

We swung by Uncle Ken's to say hi to him and Dolores, who got home from their trip to Ocean City, Maryland yesterday. Uncle Ken was on the porch we arrived, chatting with his best friend Al, his granddaughter Amber, and Amber's five-year-old daughter Ella and eight-month-old daughter Lilly. I got to introduce Lauren to everyone. Uncle Ken agreed to drive us to the Phillies game on Thursday, and added that Dad would be home from a job in Baltimore tomorrow.

We finally made it home after that. I made Chicken Burgers on Multi-Grain Rolls, sauteed yellow squash, and steamed snap peas for dinner while we watched The Hollywood Revue of 1929. I took a much-needed shower after that.

Tomorrow, we'll be going back to Philly, this time to stroll around in Old City and Penn's Landing.

No comments: