Wednesday, June 08, 2011

We All Scream For Frozen Yogurt

I spent the morning and part of the afternoon at work. Work was mostly steady, but I did have some customer trouble about half-way through. My finger slipped when I was giving an older woman change, and I accidentally typed in her $20 as $40...and her fussing only made me more flustered. I apologized profusely after it took me at least three tries to give her the right amount. She ended up complaining to the manager anyway when she couldn't find her money...which she had in her purse, of course. I did explain what happened, and they all said it wasn't my fault. Accidents happen, and grouchy people are grouchy people.

After work, I treated myself to the new Fig Newtons Fruit Thins - basically, Nabisco's whole-wheat and dried fruit version of ginger snaps. I bought a small pack of the Cranberry-Oat last week and loved them. They tasted like a crispy Cranberry-Orange Muffin! I decided to try the Blueberry Brown Sugar.

It was deadly hot when I came outside, in the mid-90s. Needless to stay, I went straight home and spent the next couple of hours inside, working on updating the record inventory.

When I finished that, I made flounder and spinach salad for dinner and started Rose Marie. This is the second Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy movie (after Naughty Marietta), and the first of three with a modern setting. MacDonald is a prima donna opera singer chasing after her brother (a very young James Stewart), who is being pursued by Mounties. Eddy is the Mountie officer doing the pursuing, while unknowingly wooing MacDonald.

Actually, I don't like this one as much as some of the others. The story is needlessly complicated, and MacDonald (who was said to be something of a diva in real life as well) is no fun as a fish-out-of-water. Stewart's equally out of place as a villain, too. Eddy does somewhat better as the Mountie trying to get his man...and lady.

Around 7, I decided it would be cool enough for a quick walk to Leo's Yum-Yums for a cool dessert. It was still pretty warm when I headed out, but the sky was blue and so clear, I could easily see a jet gliding overhead.

Not surprisingly, given the hot day, there was a big crowd around Leo's counter when I arrived. A couple of mothers had brought their broods over from the local pool for a snack. Thankfully, it wasn't a long wait. I originally asked for my favorite Only 8 Vanilla Soft-Serve frozen yogurt...and was surprised to be told that they now only make it in hard-serve. No matter. I just got it in a cup with rainbow sprinkles. It felt nice going down as I hiked home in the hazy heat.

No comments: