Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Into the Pool

Spent most of the morning trying to hook up the DVD recorder again. I came to the conclusion that I either need a new modulator...or a new TV set. My TV is a very old 22-model. It has a huge, wide back and uses big, thick wires to screw into a VCR or cable outlet. I'm guessing it's mid-late 90s vintage. It's also Dad's. I borrowed it when my equally heavy TV of similar vintage was dying in 2007. It wasn't made to hook into DVD recorders. I did buy a modulator in 2004 so I could hook up the VCR and the DVD player, but there just isn't enough hooks for everything I have now. I'm going to look for a decently priced 15 or 19-inch TV online.

After all that struggle, I needed to get out. It was cloudy and still humid, but remained windy and was much cooler than yesterday. I strolled over to the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering session there.

They came up with a very smart idea. All children's and teens' DVDs now have a clear orange sticker over the label to keep them from ending up in the adults' section. (Adult DVDs retain their plain white labels.) I organized everything, removed some books-on-CD that somehow wound up with the DVDs, and added more orange stickers to kids' DVDs that just came in.

I had more trouble in the kids' book area. For one thing, it was a mess. There were books piled on the shelves, and many items clear on the other side from where they should have been. As I leaned over to try to reorganize a shelf, I slammed my knee into the old metal unit! Nothing fell off, but I did get a rather nice bruise. Later, I did knock some books off the wooden non-fiction shelves while putting books away there.

I went to Capitol Pizza for lunch after leaving the Library. I had a slice of cheese pizza, a slice of broccoli and mushroom pizza, and water. When I finished my lunch, I strolled down the White Horse Pike, around to Newton, and over to Hillcrest for another swimming session at Dad and Uncle Ken's.

It started showering a little bit shortly after I arrived. It was still raining when I stepped into the pool with Blake and his grandfather. The rain ended as quickly as it arrived, leaving the two of us to enjoy our swim. The water wasn't quite as warm today, but it was plenty warm enough, probably in the lower 80s. It was a nice, relaxing swim. Jodie and Dad arrived home later from running errands - I eventually chatted with both.

Spent the rest of a pleasant, quiet evening at home. I worked on editing Bowery Boys stories, watched The Green Hornet, and made a tasty summer dinner of chicken in mushroom and onion sauce, corn on the cob, tomatoes with red wine vinaigrette dressing, blackberry muffins, and green beans.

No comments: