Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer in the Shade

I'm glad I didn't sleep in quite as long today. I wanted to get to the Oaklyn Library to volunteer. Their summer Storybook Hour was going on as I came in. I worked on organizing the DVDs while the kids finished their crafts and stories. When they left, I shelved the books they were reading and worked on the kids' section. I took out a book on movie serials, To Be Continued..., to help with the Bowery Boys story Lauren and I are currently writing.

Went up to WaWa after I left the library and bought a Sour Apple and Cherry Icee. I decided it was just too nice to go home right away and decided to extend my walk. I hadn't had a good walk around the neighborhood in ages. It was the perfect day for a good walk around the neighborhood - sunny, breezy, and hot but not too hot, with no humidity.

I thought I'd see if the playground at the Oaklyn Lions Park was busy. I hadn't been down there in a while. It was. What looked like a local day camp was having the time of their lives at the playground. Most played on the equipment. A few older boys had a kickball game near the tennis court. Some counselors handled the last of the kids eating lunch.

I settled down in a shady spot under a tree on the hill overlooking the playground and read my book for a little while. It was really nice. The wind rustled the dry leaves overhead. The kids' laughter drifted on the breeze. The grass was brown and brittle but comfortable. It felt so lovely and cool under the canopy. I was reluctant to leave, but it was nearly quarter after 1 and I had to work at 3:30.

When I got in, I made lunch and fiddled with the DVD recorder and VCR more. It's still not working. I just cannot get the video on the VCR to record onto the DVD. They won't play on the same channels. I'm going to try plugging the video for the DVD recorder into the front of the VCR tomorrow and see what that does.

Work was on-and-off steady for most of the night. The first half of the evening was marred by a few fussy older customers who absolutely must have their bags done just so...and don't bother to try helping themselves.

Towards the end of the night, a customer dropped a two-liter bottle of Dr. Pepper, one of the sweetest, stickiest sodas around! Nearly all the soda wound up on the floor in front of my register and the one next to me. It took two managers, a bagger, me, the other cashier, a mop, and two rolls of paper towels to get the mess soaked up and cleaned...and it was still sticky when I left.

No comments: