Friday, July 29, 2011

Sometimes Things Just Work Out

I'd been up for twenty minutes this morning when the phone rang. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I switch my schedule today from 2 to 7 to 12 to 6? There was a call-out at the front desk, and they had to pull a cashier who knew how to work the front to handle customers. Sure! My only plan for this morning was a walk. I'd be getting out earlier, too, which is always a plus.

As it turned out, that wasn't the only reason I was called in. The beginning of the month colliding with people either going to or coming from vacations turned the store into a madhouse when I arrived! There were lines into the aisles and not nearly enough people to handle them. For all that, most people were in good moods. It was insane until about 4:30, after which it was steady but not quite as bad. My relief was on time, and I was in and out with no problems.

I headed to Tu Se Bella's, the pizzeria in the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center behind the Acme, after I left work. I picked up slices of Vegetable (spinach, sweet pepper, broccoli, and tomato) and plain cheese pizza and a bottle of water for dinner. They were pretty busy, but I did snag a seat up front.

Went back to the Acme after work to do some grocery shopping. I mainly needed to restock my meat. They're having a big sale on chicken this week; I bought legs and thin-sliced breasts. Also grabbed steak and ground chicken (the former for Pepper Steak). Picked up eggs, French Vanilla mousse mix (on sale), yogurt, and Chai tea.

It started getting cloudy when I was shopping. It had been hot and humid all day, and the rapidly building clouds didn't make things any cooler. Thankfully, it was getting windier by now, too. In fact, I found myself very glad that I did take the earlier hours as I rode home. If I did work 2 to 7, I probably would have been caught in the storm coming home.

There was enough time after I put everything away at home to go for a short walk to Leo's Yum Yums down the street for some frozen yogurt. They finally had the Only 8 Chocolate Peanut Butter, which is wonderful. I haven't seen it there in at least two years...and this time, they have it in hard serve. I had my favorite small cup with chocolate sprinkles (after a little girl finally chose the water ice she wanted, exasperating her mother and the girl doing the scooping).

Mixed feelings about my schedule this week. On one hand, I have two days off in a row after today, tomorrow and Sunday. On the other hand...my next day off after Sunday isn't until NEXT Saturday, and every day is late, including until 10 on Thursday.

And it did finally rain tonight. Mother Nature was nice enough to wait until I'd been home for at least a half-hour to start storming. If it's raining at all now, it's doing it lightly.

No comments: