Friday, July 15, 2011

There's Nothing In the World Like Mint and Chocolate

I awoke to another lovely, albeit slightly hotter and more humid, day. Once again, it wasn't so hot that I couldn't indulge in some rare summer baking. I wanted to get rid of the mint leaves leftover from last week's farm market, so I decided to try something different. I chopped them finely and added them, the last of the "Topper" mini chocolate chips, and mint extract to the low-fat Fudgy Brownie recipe from one of my cookbooks. Yum. Minty without killing your sinuses and very chocolatey.

(I don't normally bake in the summer because I don't like pushing the air conditioner like that. Why make it hotter when it's 90 degrees? That makes no sense. You bake when it's cool enough. I don't really like air conditioning that much, anyway. My family didn't have an air conditioner until I believe the late 80s-early 90s. We couldn't afford it.)

I went for a walk to WaWa after the brownies came out of the oven. I needed milk, and I ended up getting a bottle of water, too. It was surprisingly busy around the neighborhood. Lots of people were working in their gardens, and I saw kids riding in groups or strolling together. (One trio of pre-teen boys nearly knocked me over as I went past them on Manor - they weren't watching where they were going.)

Had leftovers for lunch and watched Danger Mouse until it was time to go to work. This being a Friday, work was on-and-off busy for most of the night. There's plenty to do there. The head manager wants us to clean the front end, and there's at least ten containers of new candy that need to be shelved. There were no really major problems, and I was in and out.

And I have mixed feelings on next week's schedule. In good news - plenty of hours, far more than usual for this time of year, and Tuesday and a rare Saturday off. In bad news - they're all really late hours, including 3-10 on Friday.

No comments: