Sunday, July 24, 2011

Might As Well Be Walking On the Sun

I didn't get to post last night because my internet has been a pain for the last two days. It was down for almost all of last night, from 8:30 to nearly 2AM, and for the entire afternoon today. And when I finally did get back on, I discovered Verizon reset me for no good reason and I had to download everything all over again! I would have switched to another carrier ages ago, but Verizon is the cheapest local Internet service and is said to be faster than Comcast.

I did get out to the usual yard sale/farm market run yesterday. I found some really good records at an estate sale:

Two Disney LPs from the 80s, Yankee Doodle Mickey (a collection of American folk music and one song from the Disney Theme Parks' Liberty Square) and the very Greed Decade Splashdance (check out Minnie in her off-the-shoulder sweatshirt on the back cover).

A Blossom Fell, Nat King Cole

Two Christmas collections, The Sound of Christmas and one of True Value Hardware's Happy Holidays LPs.

Golden Treasures, a 3-disc set of 50s and 60s rock music that came with two more records from another early rock-themed set, Dynamic Treasures.

I also found a mint-condition Wilton teddy-bear shaped cake pan. I remember using that pan for a project in my Cake Decorating and Candy Making class in high school, but I haven't seen it since. Perhaps I'll make myself a bear cake when the weather starts cooperating again.

Stopped at another yard sale on the way to Collingswood. I picked up two good double-CD greatest hits collections for the Doors and the Supremes, but the owner insisted on downloading both to her computer before I could buy them. (I don't know why she didn't do it before selling them, but at least she was nice about it.)

The Farm Market wasn't quite as busy as usual, with far fewer dogs, thanks to the hot and humid weather. I saw the first lima beans and small apples of the season and several unusual varieties of tomatoes. I'm not fond of lima beans, but I did get the apples. Also bought blackberries, blueberries, peaches, two regular beefsteak tomatoes, a cucumber, golden beets (I hope they're less messy than regular red beets), and an ear of corn.

When I got in, I did the windows, then went out to Leo's Yum Yums and got some Orange-Vanilla Yum Yum (creamier water ice). I walked over to Uncle Ken's to go swimming after I finished my treat. I'm glad I did. The water was so warm, it was in the 90s. Blake and I floated around on inner tubes, rafts, and noodles while Uncle Ken, Dolores, and Blake's dad watched the Phillies-Padres game. (I do NOT envy those guys having to play in the 100-degree heat.)

I think I've figured out why the DVD recorder won't record, too. I have to figure out how to get the DVD recorder and the VCR on the same channel...literally. The VCR shows up on Channel 3. The DVD recorder plays on Video 1. The DVD recorder will pick up the audio from the VCR, but not the picture. I need to find out how to get both on the same wavelength.

Made some very tasty Blackberry-Peach Pancakes for breakfast, then called Mom. She'd just gotten off the phone with her chatty sister Terri and wasn't eager for a long conversation, but she did tell me that she was worried about her garden not getting enough water and a sinus infection that really made my brother Keefe sick. This happens to him from time to time, thanks to his really nasty allergies.

Brunch With the Beatles was pretty interesting today. The emphasis was on the US-only album Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, it's infamously short-lived "butcher" cover, and other songs that were released as singles in the spring and summer of 1966. Songs from that album and the time period include "We Can Work It Out," "Act Naturally," "Eleanor Rigby," "Paperback Writer," and "Yellow Submarine."

I was off of work yesterday. It was long-lines busy when I came in, but a heavy shower around 7:30-8 cleared out the customers. By the time I left, it was pin-drop quiet.

The rain was gone by the time I finished as well. It remains humid, if not anywhere near as hot as it was.

3 comments:

Marge Krah said...

Hi Emma,

I'm glad you are back. I was a little worried when you didn't post for a day or 2. Glad to hear it was internet troubles and not something heat or health related!

Anyway, sounds like you are having a great summer. I loved reading the tales of your vacation adventures with your friend Lauren. A good friend is one of life's most precious gifts.

I'm loving the summer too. Just got back from a lovely walk on Wildwood Crest beach. It's a little cooler today and the breeze along the shoreline was delightful.

Well, take care my friend, and enjoy the rest of your summer. Hope to talk to you again soon.

-Marge (aka Miss Krah) :-)

Linda said...

Emma--not seeing the back of your TV, I may be all wet, but it seems to me if the DVD player feeds on video 1 it should have a separate cable feed to the video 1 jack in the back of the TV. Did you previously feed the DVD through the VCR, so that you had to turn the VCR on to play the DVD player? I had to do that with our old TV, but I don't think that works anymore.

Emma said...

No, Linda. I previously used a modulator with the old TV. That's why I bought this TV in the first place. Both the VCR and the DVD player are hooked in. I just can't get them playing together so one can record video off the other.