Sunday, September 09, 2012

Are You Ready For Some Football?

I couldn't believe my eyes when I awoke this morning. Last night's rain and humidity had been replaced by glorious sunlight streaming through my bedroom window. It was so cool outside, I no longer needed the air conditioner or the fans. I opened the windows the moment I could and let the wonderful, warm-but-not hot air in.

Ran the second half of Brunch With the Beatles as I made Apple Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast; I thought they were appropriate for a day that felt more like fall than late summer. The movie and album Help! were in the spotlight today, highlighting the hits "Yesterday," "Ticket to Ride," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," and the title song, along with one that I like from Ringo that was cut from the album, "If Ya Got Trouble."

I called Mom after I finished my pancakes. She was getting ready for the Eagles game and didn't have the chance to talk for long. I told her about my improved hours and the beautiful weather. I also explained that I finally called the Foot & Ankle Center the other day. It seems they finally got through to the insurance company, and my orthopedics will be on their way in a week to ten days.

Called Dad after I got off the phone with Mom. I had debated whether or not to watch the first Eagles game of the season against the Browns at Uncle Ken's house. Uncle Ken is very sick, and I wasn't sure if he'd be up to it. Dad said they "weren't doing much" and "were only having a couple of people over"...but I know how that goes in this family. I finally decided it was too nice to hang around inside by myself and headed over there around 1:30.

I was right. When I arrived, my cousin Samantha, her husband David, and their children Faith, Ethan, and Matt (and a friend of Matt's) were already there, along with a few friends of my uncle's, my stepsister Jessa, and Dad and Jodie. There was plenty of food, too, most of it with a south-of-the-border theme. I watched the game while nibbling on tortilla chips and bean dip. When I wasn't having a snack, I followed Faith, Ethan, and his friend around outside. I think they were supposed to be playing tag. Faith claimed I had magical powers that could randomly unfreeze her when she was caught by her brother. Hey, if that's what the kid wants to think... ;)

I had a quick lunch of tacos on soft tortillas (the hard shells tend to fall apart) before hurrying off to work. Probably thanks to the Eagles and Phillies games, it wasn't too bad. It was steady when I came in at 3; quieted down around 6:30, and was dead when I left at 7.

The Eagles didn't play very well in their season opener against the lousy Browns, but they apparently did (barely) pull off a 17-16 win. 

The Phillies did far better, steamrolling the Colorado Rockies 7-2. 

No comments: