Friday, September 07, 2012

Swashbuckler Girl

I was watching Three Stooges shorts and getting ready to go to the gym when I got a phone call. It was my sister Rose. Seems she, Craig, and Khai had recently visited Mom and Dad in Cape May County, and they overloaded them with seafood again. Did I want some lobster and a couple of packs of fish steaks? Sure! It would save me from having to buy chicken at the Acme (especially since there aren't any good chicken sales this week). She apparently was going to the bank anyway and would be in my area.

True to her word, she was at my place in less than 20 minutes. My nephew Khai was in the back seat, enjoying a green lollypop (and running his hand over the candy part - I'm sure his mother enjoyed cleaning that sticky stuff off). I got two packs each of tilapia, salmon, and flounder, and a lobster tail...and Rose says there's more if I want it.

I did make it to the gym after she left. Watched The Price Is Right as I did a good session on the elliptical machine, then moved to the arm machine. It was a little busier than Wednesday, but not too bad. The Acme wasn't busy, either. I didn't have nearly as much to buy as I did last week. I had coupons for Toll House Chocolate Chips and Nutella (and the latter was on sale). They were having a clearance on certain Badia spices; picked up blanched almonds for cookies and dill weed for some meats. I was out of whole wheat flour and oatmeal, and Acme's generic gourmet Chai tea was on sale as well. Treated myself to Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Brownie Frozen Yogurt and Haagen Daas' Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. They were both supposed to be on sale for $3.50, but for some reason, the Haagen Daas didn't come up and I had to get the manager at customer service to fix it.

When I got home, I put everything away and had leftovers for lunch while watching The Count of Monte Cristo. Based after the Alexandre Dumas novel, this is the tale of sailor Edmund Dantes (Jim Caviezel who is betrayed by his best friend (Guy Pearce) and accused of treason. When he finally makes it out of prison with the help of a long-time inmate (Richard Harris), he concocts an elaborate plot to take revenge on those who have wronged him. 

If you love swashbucklers, this is good, rousing fun. Caviezel and Pearce have a marvelous time as the former friends now at odds with each other over the love of a woman.


Work wasn't nearly as exciting. In fact, with the beginning of the month slowing down and the kids back at school, it was slow and very boring for most of the night. The only interesting thing that happened had nothing to do with customers. We were just about out of plastic bags when I left. The remaining registers were taking them from self-checkout!

My schedule is generally an improvement over the last couple of weeks. I only have Tuesday off, but Friday is my only day later than 8:30, and there's no really long shifts and lots more hours.

No comments: