Sunday, September 02, 2012

Peaceful, Easy Feeling

I was up late with Lauren and didn't get to breakfast until past 11:30! Brunch With the Beatles was almost half-way done by the time I switched on the radio. Perhaps due to the holiday, they alternated between three different themes - a 1964 concert the Beatles did in Philadelphia, songs released in the summer and early fall of 1964, and songs released by other British Invasions bands and performers at that time. I made Peach-Sweet Potato Pancakes and tried to call Mom; never did get her, though I tried twice.

I spent a lot of the afternoon re-reading the story Lauren and I worked on last night (a Three Stooges version of the original Beauty and the Beast fairy tale) and looking up some fairy tale sites online. It was a good day for it. It had been cloudy since last night, and rained hard for much of the afternoon.

The rain slowed down long enough for me to take a walk. Dad and Jodie called last night and mentioned something about having a Labor Day cookout or get-together at their place. The rain was gone when I headed into Dad and Uncle Ken's kitchen. My stepsister Jessa was making some kind of snack involving egg white, hot peppers, and panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs. Dad and Jodie were watching Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on USA. Uncle Ken's son-in-law David and his son Matt were just starting to work on a ramp that will allow Uncle Ken to get onto the porch, since he can no longer move around easily and must use a wheelchair. It didn't sound like Rose was coming; she was taking Khai to visit Craig's father later. I could only stay for an hour anyway, since I had work. I just chatted with them before returning home for a very late lunch.

Speaking of work, the weather and everyone being out of town for the holiday must have cleared them out. Probably helped that I worked late, too. It was so dead all night, I spent two hours doing returns and another hour cleaning registers and shelving candy. There were absolutely no problems whatsoever, and I was in and out.


No comments: