Monday, September 24, 2012

Getting Ready for Winter

Brrr! It was in the 60s when I woke up this morning. Perfect fall weather. I only had one window open, and it was still pleasantly chilly in my apartment. I ran cartoons in the morning before heading out to the laundromat to get this week's load done. It was fairly busy when I came in, not too bad when I left. I didn't have a really huge load to do, anyway, mostly shirts, socks, and work clothes.

Since Mother Nature's insisting that it's fall, I decided it was time to start winterizing the apartment and my wardrobe. When I got home, I sorted through the clothes that were staying out and being put away, then pulled out the seasonal clothes bin. I switched my red purse for my heavier white and blue knit one. I folded and packed any blouses and t-shirts I wouldn't need, and all but my two jean shorts. Pulled out my sweaters and jeans and heavier work pants. It was nice to see my sweaters and warm clothes again! I figure even if we have a few more warm days, they won't be warm enough for light shorts and tank tops.

I continued with my winterizing after a quick omelet for lunch. Ran Red Riding Hood as I put away the fans and dusted and covered the air conditioner. This adaptation of the famous Grimm's Fairy Tale is set in an unnamed kingdom during the medieval era. Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) is betrothed to Henry, the blacksmith's son (Max Irons), but is in love with Peter (Shiloh Fernandez). Her town has long been under attack by a mysterious werewolf. The townspeople think they've killed it after it murders Henry's father and Valerie's sister. Father Solomon (Gary Oldman) says otherwise. During the night of the town's festival, the werewolf attacks...and it speaks to Valerie. With the town claiming she's a witch and even her beloved grandmother (Julie Christie) holding secrets, will Valerie be able to solve the mystery of the wolf, and decide who really owns  her heart?

Pure Twilight-esque fantasy pulp. Seyfried is fine as spirited Valerie; Oldman is suitably creepy as the wolf hunter. I also like Julie Christie as her mystical, thoughtful grandmother. The atmosphere is dark, chilly, and appropriately mysterious, and the mystery is well written. My biggest complaints are Valerie's love interests. They're interchangeable and as bland as a bowl of oatmeal. I honestly can't understand what Val sees in either of them. Chalk it up to adolescent hormones, I guess. If you like horror that isn't too bloody or the Twilight series, you'll probably enjoy one.

I ran a few Max & Ruby cartoons as I made Pumpkin Muffins, then headed off to work. Work was pretty much par for the course for this time of the month and year - steady up until around 7-7:30, quiet thereafter. I was in and out quickly.

No comments: