Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nautical Nonsense

After last night's monsoon, I was delighted to see the sunlight streaming through my window this morning. It was so chilly in my apartment, I was perfectly happy curled under my blue and tan comforter, surrounded by stuffed animals. There weren't even any puddles left on my porch...though there was a lot of sticks and debris.

I ran swashbuckler-themed cartoons and shorts in honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day as I had breakfast. In the Looney Tunes favorite "Buccaneer Bunny," Yosemite Sam is a pirate who tries to bury his treasure in Bugs' rabbit  hole. When Bugs turns up with the loot, he attempts to keep him from revealing the location. Mickey Mouse contends with modern pirate Peg-Leg Pete and rescues damsel in distress Minnie in the rare Disney black-and-white adventure "Shanghaied." The Three Stooges find themselves back in the ages of pirates and fair damsels in fancy gowns. It may take more than their famous "Maharaja" skit to keep from ending up burned on the stake in "Three Little Pirates."

Headed to the gym as the Stooges were ending. Once again, it wasn't busy. There were a few people on treadmills, and only one other woman lifting weights. I watched the local news and CBS' Talk Philly while working up a good sweat on the elliptical machine. It was getting late at that point, so I made my leg weight machine workout quick.

Went straight home for lunch and The Pirates of Penzance. This is the 1983 film adaptation of the hit Broadway revival of one of Gilbert and Sullivan's most beloved light operas. Yes, this is a light opera, almost entirely sung, and it's filmed as something of a stage show...but the cast is having such a great time, you won't mind. Kevin Kline, Rex Smith, and Linda Rondstat reprise their stage roles as the Pirate King, Fredrick, and Mabel. Angela Landsbury comes on board as Fredrick's devoted nurse.

Work was surprisingly on-and-off busy for the middle of the week and month. It was still so busy when I left, a manager had to come in for me.


No comments: