Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Time For Vacation

Started out a sunny, windy, slightly warmer day with a run to the gym. Probably due to the nice day, it was pretty dead in there again. That, and it was past noon when I finally got there. Most people were likely at lunch. I did a decent set on the elliptical machine while watching Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, then all the leg apparatus work that my heel spur could handle. Not to mention, I had one more stop to make before I went home, and I had to work at 3.

Since it's on the same side of the mall as the gym, I stopped at America's Best on the way home to order my contacts. I've been putting it off because I really can't afford them. I've now been on my last pair for weeks; I can't put it off anymore. I ordered my usual three month's worth, then headed home.

I saw men in two vans removing signage and food menus from the Sonic property after I left America' Best. Sigh. I guess they really are closed for good. I'm going to miss them. They had the best fast food onion rings I ever tasted, and that awesome cherry limeade. It was nice to have the option of eating outside on a warm summer evening, too. I always thought they were popular, but, first of all, an area that can get really cold in the winter may not be the best location for a year-round outdoor restaurant. Second, they were shoved into an extremely small spot behind the wildly popular Chick Fil' A...and they obviously lacked the playground that makes them popular with families.

(I wonder what's going to happen to the Sonic property now? That little building is too small to house any normal-sized fast food restaurant. Maybe they could make it into parking lots for Chick-Fil'A and the mall?)

After I got home, I had a really quick lunch of leftovers while running cartoons and checked my e-mail, then headed off to work. Work was almost exactly the same as last night - steady during rush hour, quiet otherwise. It did pick up enough by 9:30 that a manager had to come in for me so I could leave on time. I bought eggs (on a good sale that's only this week) and today's Daily Deal, the only one this week that interested me, the 69 cent boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix. I actually have plenty in the pantry, but for that price, who can resist? I'll treat myself to a cake this week.

And I deserve a treat. Tomorrow is a normal day off. My second vacation week doesn't technically start until Thursday. It'll run until next Tuesday. It's my second of two vacation weeks, and even though I don't have the money to do any kind of traveling, I'm still looking forward to a week where I don't have to run off to work.

No comments: