Sunday, September 16, 2012

Football Playtime

Started off another day of glorious, mid-70s weather with a plate of Carrot Pancakes and Brunch With the Beatles. The theme was "Beatles Solo Songs, 1971-1981." Paul McCartney had hits alone and with Wings, including my favorite "Live and Let Die." I'm fondest of some of George's later music, including the bouncy "All Those Years Ago." Though John had some hits in the early 70s, including "Imagine," my favorites came from his 1980 comeback, "Woman," "Just Like Starting Over," and "Watching the Wheels." Ringo seemed to do best with novelty numbers like "The No No Song," dance numbers like "Oh My My," and remakes of rock hits like "You're Sixteen." I tried calling Mom during the show, but I didn't get her; she was probably out running errands before the Eagles-Ravens game.

Speaking of the game, I was able to whip together an Apple Spice Cake by adding buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites, a whole egg, apple juice, and spices to the Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix. I don't really like using cake mixes. I only bake with them when I have to put together something quickly for a crowd. I read The Merry Wives of Maggody while the cake was in the oven. The moment it was cool enough, I put a cover on it, set it in my bike basket, and rode over to Uncle Ken's house to watch the game.

I didn't actually end up seeing much of the game. My cousin Samantha and her husband David are clearing out the garage that Uncle Ken and his son Mark used to rent as an office. I played with Samantha's 6-year-old daughter Faith to keep her out of her parents' hair. We had a lot of fun together, pretending to be the powerful Red Knight (Faith, of course) and the mercenary Green Knight (me). We rode our imaginary horses across the countryside (the front lawn), first looking for magical stones that would turn the world colorful, then avoiding lions in Africa. (We got there by plane. Horses and all. Faith insisted on that.) When we came back from Africa, we helped a group of newly born foals looking for their parents.

Good thing Faith was finally getting tired out by quarter after 2. I had to leave for work right as the first half of the game ended. Work wasn't nearly as much fun. Once again, there were lots of cranky people, and it didn't help that I was rather worn out myself from running around with Faith. I made up for it by treating myself to today's Daily Deal, Bryers' ice cream for $1.88. They make the best cherry vanilla ice cream around. It's my favorite flavor in the world, along with Edy's Pumpkin.

I did finally get a hold of Mom when I got home. She helped me finally figure out a budget. What I found didn't make me very happy. When I subtract everything I pay for in a month from what I make per month, it leaves me with a measly $180 for expenses. I don't know how I'm going to live on that. I have no idea of what to do. While I'm looking forward to visiting Mom and Dad on my vacation in a week and a half, I don't think I have the money to even afford bus and train fare.

Oh, and I was right...again. The Eagles, who were once again behind during much of the first half, managed to come back during the second to win by the skin of their teeth for the second time in two weeks, 24-23. 

No comments: