Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Day For Mothers

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all Moms out there, including those whose children are four-legged or feathered!

I started a hot, muggy Mother's Day with Banana Pancakes and Louis Armstrong records before dashing off to early work. Work was busy all morning, not exactly a surprise on a holiday and a Sunday. Most people were happy to be heading to their holiday barbecues and dinners. At one point, we even gave out free single carnations to all the mothers who came in our lines. There were no real problems, and my relief was right on time.

I took the Black Horse Pike home this time, road repairs be darned. I was too tired to deal with the Sunday traffic on Nicholson Road. As soon as I got in, I changed and called my own mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. I ended up leaving her a message. I'm guessing she was either at work or out with my sister Anny and her kids.

I spent the next hour and a half napping. I'm not used to working early on a Sunday! After I got up, I worked on my WENN fanfiction. Mackie and Hilary, impressed with the Crimson Blade after the fight in the market and with how they saved Hilary from Pavla, joins the group to replace Jeff. Meanwhile, Pavla and Governor Pruitt get together to discuss their twin adversaries, the Crimson Blade and the staff and residents of the Monongahela Inn. Pruitt wants to sell off the Inn and get the staff out of his hair. Pavla wants revenge on Hilary and the others for humiliating her. They both think they can help each other get what they want...starting with Pavla going to have a talk with Lord Jeff Singer in Boston...

I had leftovers for dinner while listening to the original cast of the beloved 1959 musical Gypsy. Ethel Merman had what was considered her greatest role as the ultimate stage mother, the conniving, manipulating Rose. She pushed and shoved her daughters June and Louise into vaudeville at early ages, hoping against hope that sweet little June would become a star. June did eventually hit it big...as an adult comedienne on Broadway. Louise became Gypsy Rose Lee, the most famous and classiest stripper in burlesque.

Actually, I think my favorite song from this show is one of the cut numbers included on my deluxe edition disc, "Mamma's Talkin' Soft." It was supposed to have been sung by Louise and June overhead while Rose sang "Small World," but one of the girls was afraid of heights and they had to drop the number. Too bad. I like the way the girls describe how they've seen their mother deal with men before...and what happens when she gets her hooks into them. The almost intimate, cabaret-like version on my CD gives it a jaunty, laid-back feel.

No comments: