Monday, May 11, 2015

Romancing the Laundry

Once again, I began the day at work. Work was on-and-off busy, though not quite as much as yesterday. Other than a few cranky people, I was in and out with no major problems. Oh, and my current good mood has been noticed by more than my customers. I got Employee of the Month and a 50 dollar gift card, probably due to those two compliments in a row the last few weeks. That 50 dollars will come in handy - I can save the money that would have gone towards food for vacation.

When I got home, I would have liked to have taken a nap, but I had other things to do. I changed, then headed back out to get the laundry done. I won't have the time to get it done tomorrow, and I really didn't want to wait until Wednesday. I almost wish I'd waited until Wednesday. The laundromat was teeming with families getting enormous loads of blankets and sheets done. The TV blasted obnoxious Dr. Phil and his silly, ignorant patients. I read one of my favorite novels, The Wings of the Falcon by Barbara Michaels, and ignored everything else. Thank goodness my load was really small. I was out in just about an hour.

When I got home, I put everything away, then made dinner. I forgot to take out the fish fillet I was originally going to have tonight, so I opted for a far simpler fried egg sandwich with cheddar cheese and romaine lettuce. Added sauteed asparagus and mushrooms for more vitamins.

Ran Romancing the Stone as I ate dinner, and later just while sprawled across my love seat, relaxing with Pluto the Tsum Tsum in my arms. Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) is a romance novelist living in New York City with her cat and her hopes of finding a man as rugged and handsome as the ones she writes about. She gets a lot more adventure than she bargains for when she finds out that her sister is being held hostage in Columbia in exchange for a treasure map that was sent to her. Joan heads to Columbia, only to find herself lost in the jungle with a mercenary (Michael Douglas) who will help her for a price and a crazed general and two local smugglers (one is Danny DeVito) who are after the map.

I still love this movie. I have since it came out. For most of my childhood, this was my definition of romance. There's a reason a poster for the movie is currently hanging over one of my DVD shelves in the entertainment area. Turner's marvelous as the mousy writer who comes out of her shell when she finds herself dealing with real action, and Douglas is sexy as hell as the mercenary. Some violence makes this a tad iffy for very young kids; for everyone else, especially if they love romantic action, this is a great deal of fun and is very highly recommended.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love that movie, too. It was one of the first movies James and I saw together (although technically "our" movie is THE LAST STARFIGHTER...lol).

Emma said...

I have that one, too. It's also an old childhood favorite of mine. Come to think of it, I haven't watched that in a while... ;)