Sunday, May 15, 2016

Blown Away

It was sunny when I awoke this morning. I read the novelization of The Force Awakens, then finally got up to make breakfast. In honor of the first farm market strawberries of the season, I made Strawberry-Almond Pancakes. Yum. They came out pretty well. (And probably would have come out even better if I hadn't burnt one.) Listened to the Disco House double LP set I bought yesterday while I ate. Although there were a few familiar songs, like Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby" and the original version of "Turn the Beat Around," I didn't recognize most of the tunes. That was ok. It was nice to just have an album (or 2 - this was a 2-disc set) to get up and dance to.

Thankfully, and despite the best efforts of some wild wind and fat and thick clouds, it remained sunny for most of the afternoon. This was a good thing. I spent most of the first half of my work shift outside, helping with carts. Today is a Sunday, and Sundays are always busy, even outside of football season. This is the only day of the week a lot of people can go grocery shopping. Surprisingly, I ended up spending most of the last hour and a half inside, either behind a register (maybe someone called out?) or doing returns.

When I got home, I went right on the computer to do a little writing. The Ewoks use methods similar to the ones the utilized in the original Return of the Jedi - throwing rocks, using logs to knock over people and vehicles, bow and arrows, spears - to get rid of the Imperial troops who are cutting down their trees. Leia uses her mind powers to convince their head officer to return to the Kingdom of the Empire empty-handed.

I had leftovers for dinner, then made Pumpkin Muffins. The Acme is still clearing out its original generic brands and replacing them with Safeway brands. I found pumpkin on the clearance rack for 69 cents, so I thought, why not have a little taste of fall in the spring? They came out pretty well, too, moist and just sweet enough. (I also grabbed cranberry sauce for 49 cents - maybe I'll do something with cranberry next?)

Listened to more 70's hits while I worked. I love all the K-Tel collections I've found all over the area, from the FYE in Philly to Haddon Heights. It's like having an oldies station on a record. The one I listened to tonight was from 1977 and included favorites like "Right Back Where We Started From," "Let Your Love Flow," and two hit theme songs from popular sitcoms of the time period, "Welcome Back" (from Welcome Back Kotter) and "Happy Days."

No comments: