Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Heat Is Finally On

Started the day with an early work shift. Whew, was it hot! It had to be in the 70's and climbing already by 9 AM. I have the feeling this is not what everyone had in mind when they were complaining about the 50 degree temperatures last week. It's probably just as well I only did carts for about an hour when I arrived. I spent a lot of the day in the register. I wasn't happy about it, but we were a lot busier than I thought we'd be. I guess anyone who's sticking around for the weekend wanted to get their barbecue and party supplies now. Thankfully, I was just bagging when I finished. I grabbed a quart of skim milk and hurried home.

It was so hot when I got in, I had no choice. I had to turn on the air conditioners. I was hoping to hold off on it, since it's not humid, but it had to be in the lower 80's in my apartment alone. As it turned out the cord on the unit in my bedroom didn't reach the nearest outlet (the one I plug my laptop into). I had to get the extension cord Miss Ellie gave me for the original air conditioner years ago.

When it was sufficiently cool, I ate muffins and a pear for lunch. Watched a couple of episodes of Max & Ruby while I finished. "Max's Froggy Friend" wants to follow him home. Ruby says tea parties are no place for froggies, but Max always finds a way. "Max's Music" doesn't sound so harmonious to Ruby, Valerie, and Louise, who are practicing for the Bunny Scout Concert. When the girls can't play together, it's Max who finds a way to help them keep the beat. "Max Gets Wet," much to his sister's chagrin. She wants him to water her garden, but he'd rather water himself. For once, it's Ruby who figures out how to compromise.

Spent the rest of the evening working on my story. Vader lets the group in. He knows his children are there, and that they'll come to him. He's right, at least about one of them. Luke tells Leia he's going to give himself up to Vader. Leia tries to discourage him, but he's determined. He tries to talk his father out of taking him to Palapatine. Vader knows better. He has to obey his master.

As soon as Luke leaves, Boba Fett arrives. He tells him both his kids are there, and Leia's with Han. Vader once again orders Fett to bring him Leia and get rid of Han...or this time, he may consider tossing him to a sand monster, or worse.

Broke for dinner around 5:30. I put on Willow as I threw together ground turkey, sweet pickle relish, a can of diced tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken stock, whole-wheat pasta, and the last of the chopped onion flakes that have been around forever (I was out of real onion) to make my version of Hamburger Helper. Willow (Warwick Davis) is part of a race of diminutive Hobbit-esque beings who live peacefully in a small village. Willow is determined to become a great sorcerer, even if everyone else in the village thinks he's just a goof. When his children discover a lost baby by the river, it sets off a chain of events that end with him discovering that the baby is a princess who needs to be returned to her rightful kingdom. With the help of a cynical warrior (Val Kilmer) and two very nutty brownies, he learns that size really matters not, and that magic can be found in the most unlikely of hearts.

An old favorite of mine. Davis and Kilmer are especially having fun as the knight and the short farmer who don't know what to make of each other, and the brownies are a riot. If you're a fan of Games of Thrones-esque high fantasy or the cast, this is a no-brainer.

No comments: