Sunday, May 01, 2016

Romance In the Rain

I slept in today and spent most of my remaining morning finishing out The Hound of the Baskervilles and writing in my journal. When I did get up, I barely had time for some quick Whole Wheat-Buttermilk Pancakes and a grapefruit half. Ran my LP of Purple Rain in honor of Prince, who passed away last week, while I ate.

It poured for most of the morning. The rain slowed down a little by the time I was heading to work, enough that I arrived only somewhat wet. As it turned out, I would be somewhat wet for most of the afternoon. I spent the majority of my shift gathering carts on a very, very busy day. It's the beginning of the month, and there's a lot coming up this week and next weekend, including Cinco Del Mayo and Mother's Day. The one time I was in the register was when someone had their break. Which turned out to be a pain. Even after the girl came in for me, I still had to wait to go on my own break, even though it was already a half-hour late.

I was so happy to be able to sign out and run home as quickly as I could. Thankfully, the rain had long slowed down by that point. It was pretty much done when I made it in the door. To my knowledge, it hasn't rained since.

Spent the rest of the evening working on my story. Vader holds Han hostage to force Leia to use her singing voice to lure Luke to the tower. She does sing...until she actually sees Luke, and then she screams her head off to warn him away. That doesn't please the Dark Lord one bit. He retaliates by blinding Han. When the lovers continue to defy him, he places a curse on Han, putting him into a deep sleep for a thousand years.

Luke finally makes his way into the tower just in time to hear Vader's curse. He doesn't have the power to lift it...but he can soften it. Han will now only sleep until he receives a kiss from his true love. Leia's delighted. Vader is not. He seals Han in a crystal and gold coffin, then sends him off with Boba Fett. Leia's turned over to Lando, while Luke remains in the tower to fight Vader.

It was past 7 when I finally broke for dinner. I made roasted fingerling potatoes and crab cakes with spinach salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I needed some cheering up after the trouble at work and the intense scene I was writing. The soundtrack from Hairspray did the trick. I heard this will be the next big live musical on the networks. It should be interesting, at any rate. I love this one, especially some of the dance numbers and John Travolta and Christopher Walken's hilarious and touching "You're Timeless To Me."

No comments: