Sunday, May 22, 2016

Stranger In the Parking Lot

Began the morning with Banana Pancakes. Listened to the original cast album for Kismet as I ate. Wright and Forest adapted the music of Borodin for this enjoyably exotic adaptation of the ancient play. Alfred Drake is the beggar who starts out selling rhymes in the streets of Bagdad and ends up with the Wazir's bored wife (Joan Diener). Doretta Morrow is his daughter Marsinah, who eventually falls for and marries the Caliph (Richard Kiley). "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads" and "Strangers In Paradise" were the hit songs; my favorite number is the lovely "Night of My Nights" for the Caliph.

Worked a little bit on writing after breakfast. Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando are called to Jabba's treasure vaults. Turns out Jabba hoarded enough gold to make every farmer in the Kingdom of Tatoon wealthy. While most of the money will go into making Tatoon a better place to live, some of it is reserved for the Rebels' campaign against the Kingdom of the Empire, who has tripled taxes and attacked whole villages that couldn't pay. Lady Mothma, the head of the Rebels, decides it's time to strike Bast Castle.

Listened to another K-Tel record while getting ready for work. The weather was still pretty decent, cloudy and cool, but not nearly as cold as it has been. I opted to ride to work. (Besides, I don't know if there's anyone around to drive me these days.)

Work was pretty much the same as it has been. I spent the entire first half of my shift and the last hour doing returns. We were so busy, at one point, I got stuck in the register for a little while. I also gathered carts and did a small cart of returns, mainly cold or frozen items that had to go back quickly. It showered lightly on and off all throughout the afternoon, but never long enough or hard enough to do much besides get my glasses a little wet.

When I got home, I made macaroni and cheese for dinner. I've attempted white sauce a few times, but it always came out burned or lumpy. This time, it was just perfect, smooth and cheesy enough. I tossed tuna in with the sauce for protein.

 Wish my game came out that well. I'd barely gotten a few minutes into the next round of LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga when the Wii let out a horrible noise and the screen got stuck. Turns out the used copy I bought at GameStop was badly scratched. After it did it a second time, I just put it aside and played Kirby Dream Land 3 on the Kirby Dream Collection instead. Unfortunately, thanks to all that drama, my mac and cheese did get a bit burned, but it still tasted pretty good. Added a spinach salad with oil and vinegar for vegetables.

Switched to the original cast album for Dreamgirls while I ate. I actually prefer the movie soundtrack, as I like the cast and some of the additional songs, but this is good too. If nothing else, we get to hear two numbers that were cut from the film, including one for Lorrell when she's realizing just how fed up she is with her relationship with Jimmy, "Ain't No Party."

No comments: