Friday, May 02, 2008

Good Times, Bad Teeth

I had my third dentist appointment this morning. She had to drill in the big molar on the other side. I didn't think it was as bad because it didn't hurt, but apparently it was also broken and fairly close to the nerve. Not only that, but the other tooth was infected. Swell. At first she said I would need a root canal, but she and her assistant took another look at my X-rays from the last time and decided to do a good cleaning on my other teeth to help out the woman who would be scaling and polishing them. For now, they just ended up giving me an antibiotic in the gums around the bad tooth on the right side and cleaning the others very well. I can't eat hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for a week and I can't floss for ten days, but hopefully this will help the gums enough to avoid that (expensive) surgery.

The rest of the day was far more pleasant. It started out in the 60s, but by the time I got home, it was in the 70s and climbing. (The weather is much appreciated after the clouds, storms, and chilly wind we've had all week!) I put my red sweater away and switched my old jeans for my new jean capris. After lunch (two soft Strawberry Muffins and a Strawberry-Banana Smoothie), I went to the Haddon Township Library to return the DVDs that were due and finally due this week's volunteering. (I was going to do it on Tuesday but got called into work and didn't have the time.) It was so nice, I went for a ride afterwards, stopping to say hi to Bob at Abbie Road and buy a really cool 20-CD set of old-time radio sitcoms and a Bing Crosby collection.

I listened to two of the discs while I made dinner. Blondie and A Date With Judy are early examples of typical family sitcoms. (Blondie comes from the still-running radio strip, which pre-dates both the radio show and the popular movie series.) I had more fun with Blondie, where Dagwood Bumstead comes off as a more nasal Fibber Magee with a kid (his tall tales to Alexander about how he would swim in the river in January were hilarious). Date With Judy was a bit more dated. While sitcom plots haven't changed (substitute "garage rock band" for "orchestra" and "local access TV" for "local radio" in the second episode and it could almost be set now), teenagers sure have. Breathless Judy and super-nerdy Oogie Pringle don't sound like any kids their age I know. (Hard to believe Oogie was played by Richard Crenna. I wonder what Rambo would say if he knew his drill sergeant was an uber-nerd as a teenager?)

No comments: