Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Little Things Mean A Lot

I spent most of today running small errands and doing usual chores. After breakfast and sleeping in, I headed for the Haddon Township Library. In addition to organizing the children's DVDs, I did the R section of the children's picture books. The latter were a disaster area. I may ask to continue on through the alphabet next week - the kids' books really could use it.

I made a very quick trip to Super Fresh after leaving the library for tea. Super Fresh has a better selection of tea at better prices, and I'm going to be needing more now that I'm making my own iced tea in addition to drinking it in the morning. I was in and out of Super Fresh in less than 10 minutes. I only needed the tea, and I wanted to avoid the kids coming out of school.

After I got home, I had lunch and went right back out again, this time in the opposite direction. I went to the FYE behind the Acme to sell my Vintage Mickey DVD (a short collection of early Mickey Mouse cartoons; now that I have both B&W Treasures sets, Vintage Mickey is superfluous), and then headed across the parking lot to the free-standing Staples to get a new computer keyboard. I'd been wanting to do that for months. My old one was sticking and the letters were rubbing off.

Actually, the second trip was partially an excuse to just get out. It was a gorgeous day, 80 degrees and sunny. It did shower very briefly later in the afternoon, but by that time, I was home and in the midst of cleaning my bathroom. (The bathroom was the only thing I finished cleaning today; tomorrow, I'll do the kitchen and the windows, and possibly get to vacuuming.)

I finished up the Mickey Mouse In Black & White Treasures set this evening. I really love those shorts. I don't know what Disney and his animators were on in the early and mid-30s, but there's a vitality to those shorts that Disney would never have again, and some of them (like the horror-themed Mad Doctor or the hilarious Touchdown Mickey) are plain bizarre. Fun stuff.

1 comment:

Linda said...

> I don't know what Disney and his
> animators were on in the early
> and mid-30s, but there's a
> vitality to those shorts that
> Disney would never have again

That's because the Disney studio "grew up" and had an image to maintain. Disney saw the early Mickey as a cartoon Charlie Chaplin, an "everyguy" who could get in all sorts of situations. Then Mickey started to be identified with children and he had to show only positive qualities: heaven forbid Mickey should crank a goat like an organ or play a cat's tail, because it would show a bad example to his juvenile fans. Mickey basically turned into Gallant from "Goofus and Gallant" and even Walt admitted he could no longer do many things with Mickey because he had to be Mr. Straight Arrow. Thus Donald Duck, with his temper, and Goofy, who was allowed to be stupid.