Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stormy Weather

Despite the humidity, on-and-off sun, and threat of storms and (of all things) tornadoes, I headed out for my usual Saturday chores this morning. I was early enough to be able to browse in Collingswood and attend several yard sales after I did the Farm Market and the bank. The Farm Market was as busy as it always is. Like me, people probably opted to come early and avoid the nasty forecast. I didn't really need much today. I just bought strawberries, broccoli, mushrooms, celery, and a shallot for the beet soup I'm hoping to make tomorrow.

I didn't have much luck with the yard sales today. One couple did have records and cassettes, but despite my hovering over him, a guy got there just before I did...and, in full view of me, bought the whole lot before I could look at them!

I did get some good records in Collingswood. I finally found some more children's records at the Collingswood Library. I picked up two more Disney book-and-records (a 1960 version of Bambi and a 1964 retelling of Mary Poppins with lovely, angular full-color pictures), and a short adaptation of A Christmas Carol done by children's record company Peter Pan (I actually remember my sisters and I having Peter Pan records in the early 80s). My favorite find was the 1970 Original Cast Album for Sesame Street, complete with an orange Oscar, a scruffy Big Bird, Gordon with hair, and the first recordings of "Rubber Duckie" and "The People In My Neighborhood." I also picked up what appears to be a mid-late 50s Rosemary Clooney album, Swing Around Rosie.

I made a quick stop at the thrift shop next to say "hi" to my friend Erica. Most of the records they get at Friends In Deed are old obscure disco and R&B singles and leftovers from the days of Philadelphia International Records, but they do occasionally get some genuine cool albums. I picked up Lou Rawls, 70s Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, post-Keith Moon The Who, and Gary Stevens' 22 Good Guy Oldies, a collection of 50s and 60s hits.

I tried a few more yard sales on my way home, getting lost on my way to one, but found nothing of interest. It was getting darker and darker, and the wind was getting worse. I stopped at Doria's Deli around the corner from me for eggs, turkey, brown sugar, and a diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. On my way home, it started to rain lightly. Thankfully, I was inside by the time the thunder and lightning began.

I called Dad and Uncle Ken for a ride, but I got Jessa. Apparently, everyone was either out with friends, out at work, or just out. I finally decided to ignore the rain and ride to work. Though it did rain on my way and I did get wet, the thunder and lighting had passed and the rain itself was lessening. By the time I got out of work, the clouds were receding, the wind was slower, and there was nothing left of the storm but puddles.

Work was on-and-off busy, to be expected on a day when the weather was on-and-off. We had a few annoying beginning-of-the-month customers. One group of ladies kept trying phone number after phone card number in order to get more than three of the Bryers Ice Cream that's on sale 3 for $7. When a card's been in the system for a very, very long time, the phone number will often be lost or deleted. (My card hasn't been in the system for years. I got it when I was about 16. Lord only knows what number I used.) I don't know what they wanted all that ice cream for, anyway. That must have been some party!

No comments: