Sunday, June 01, 2008

June Is Bustin' Out All Over

The first day of June dawned sunny, bright, and warm. I slept in and spent most of the morning working on a Cold Beet and Yogurt Soup recipe from French Women Don't Get Fat while listening to the WOGL "Brunch With the Beatles" show. (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, one of my favorite Beatles albums, was in the spotlight today.)

Work was busy, not a surprise in the beginning of the month and a month in which many people will be getting late tax return and economic stimulus checks. There were a few annoying customers but no call-outs today. However, shortly after arriving home, Jill called and asked me if I wanted to work 10:30 to 7 instead of 2:30 to 7. Sure, why not? The only thing I had planned for early in the week was cleaning, and I could start that on Tuesday. I could use the hours, too.

After I had leftover cheese-stuffed chicken and Cold Beet and Yogurt Soup for dinner, I decided to enjoy the lovely evening and treat myself to a walk and some Only 8 Frozen Yogurt from Leo's Yum Yum around the corner. Apparently, half of Oaklyn had the same idea. There was a long line when I arrived, and it took me more than five minutes to get my vanilla frozen yogurt cone.

I took a walk down Manor Avenue and up to the White Horse Pike as I ate my cone. It was a gorgeous night, warm enough to be out in a t-shirt and shorts, but cool enough that my cone didn't melt before I finished it. Manor Avenue smelled like damp earth, roses, clover, and honeysuckles. Gardens were in full bloom; people sat on their stoops or porches, chatted with their neighbors and families, and enjoyed the lovely evening.

I called Mom after I got in. I'd called her earlier, but she was busy and called me back while I was on my walk. She, Daddy, and Keefe apparently spent most of the week taking advantage of the weather and working on their yard and real wooden deck. (They had a brick patio in North Cape May that tended to get covered with eroded mud from their mostly-dirt yard.) She sounded tired and very, very happy. I talked to Daddy briefly this morning. He doesn't want anything for Father's Day, either, so he'll be getting a card.

No comments: