Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Day for Mamas

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers (including those whose "kids" are four-legged). I started off my Mother's Day with Pecan-Molasses Pancakes and a call to my own mother. Mom was fine when I got a hold of her. Keefe was still recovering from being sick and hurting his foot. Dad was getting ready to go on a motorcycle ride. She was watering the plants, including one Rose sent her for Mother's Day. (She liked my card, too.) She's worried about Dad and the Cape May fishing fleet. The boat that went down off the coast of Cape May last month has been constantly in the papers since then. Mom's afraid the media blitz will result in more and damaging regulations for the commercial fishermen.

After my chat with Mom, I listened to the Beatles show on WOGL ("The Beatles and Other British Invasion Bands" was the theme today), washed the dishes, and did some reading, then headed to work. Work was steady but not insanely busy, surprisingly for a holiday and a gorgeous day in general. It was cooler than yesterday but not too much for this time of the year, sunny, and really windy. I had a great ride to and from work. Other than my relief was slightly late, there were no problems.

Did some baking after I came home. My cookie jar was running low again, so I tried another cookie recipe from the light desserts cookbook I took out of the Haddon Township Library, this one for chocolate chip cookies. Yum. They came out incredibly well, even with half the sugar and butter of most chocolate chip cookie recipes. I think they might be the best chocolate chip cookies I ever made. They are so perfectly soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. Beats the heck out of Chips Ahoy any day.

It was such a nice day, I decided to go for a quick walk after the cookies were done. I strolled down Manor Avenue, past West Clinton, and over to Kendall Boulevard and the neighborhood behind the school. It was fairly quiet, for a lovely spring evening. There were a few people clustered around Leo's Yum-Yums, and I saw some kids out riding around, but I figured most people were barbecuing in their backyards, working on an elaborate dinner for Mom, or taking their mothers out to eat.

No comments: