Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Into One's Life, A Very Small Shower Must Fall

I slept in this morning and didn't eat breakfast until almost 10:30. I'd spent a lot of the morning reading A Hole In Juan and just enjoying being able to lay in bed and do nothing but read and write in my journal. It was sunny initially, but clouds began to gather as I rounded up my laundry basket. By the time I made my way over to Dad's for this week's laundry session, a sudden spring shower was falling.

The shower had been unexpected and very sudden; even local weather stations hadn't predicted it, according to Dad. It also disappeared as soon as it arrived. The sun was peeking through the clouds even as I walked to Dad's. By the time I'd put the laundry in the washer, it was gone and the sky was as blue as ever. The clouds never truly disappeared, though. They were in and out all day.

I went for a short walk around the neighborhood after transferring the laundry to the dryer. Made a brief stop at the Oaklyn Library, but didn't take anything out. It was fairly quiet at Dad's house. He was cleaning out the pool, working on the small rock waterfalls and watering the plants. Dad doesn't usually open the pool this early, but he's hoping to use it for Jessa's graduation on May 30th. He was the only one at home. Jessa was at school, Jodie at work, and Uncle Ken and Dolores still in Florida.

It was much nicer when I finally got home. I put my laundry away, ate a very quick lunch, and went back out again, this time to Newton River Park. I hiked around the winding paths near the river, watching children play in the playgrounds, teenagers chat with their friends, people walk their dogs, mothers push their toddlers in strollers, and joggers huff by. It was a really lovely day for a walk by then, sunny and warmer, but with a cool breeze and several fat, puffy clouds remaining from the earlier rainfall. I walked for an hour before my legs started to feel a little tired and I finally made my way home.

The rest of the afternoon was passed quietly at home, finishing A Hole In Juan, eating spinach, whole wheat pasta, and leftover chicken legs, and listening to episodes of the old-time radio show The Shadow. I have so missed being able to listen to my radio cassettes. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows....

No comments: