Friday, October 02, 2009

A Ghost of a Chance

Slept in this morning after a second bout with allergy attacks in a row kept me awake last night. Thankfully, my nose was feeling much better by the time I finally got out of bed around 10:30. I had a quick breakfast of carrot muffins, orange green tea, and a peach, then headed for the Acme to pick up my paycheck and take a look at the stores behind the mall.

The Acme was very busy when I arrived for my check. Not surprising, given this is the beginning of the month. FYE wasn't busy when I was there. I was looking for Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving on DVD, but I didn't see it there, so I went on my way. Made a brief stop at Fashion Bug. I was going to go to Wal-Mart, but the parking lot was packed. I didn't even want to think of what it would be like inside! I just went back to the Acme instead.

Didn't have a really long list today. I wanted more of the canned diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning. (They're still on sale, though not as good as last week.) I was out of brown sugar, too, and almost out of allergy medicine. I hadn't had rye flour in a while - the Acme had the smaller Hodgeson Mill box on sale. Stocked up on Dannon and Acme generic light yogurt. (I love pineapple-coconut yogurt, and they have delicious light versions.) I saw that Edy's Ice Cream was on sale and treated myself to my annual fall dessert, their heavenly Pumpkin flavor. It really tastes like pumpkin pie. I've bought at least one carton every fall since I first encountered it in college in 2000.

Rode straight home after work (and after I picked up my schedule, since I hopefully won't be at the Acme at all tomorrow). Put everything where it belonged, then headed out again. First stop was the bank, where I deposited this week's large paycheck. For once, I actually have more in the bank than I thought I did, even after paying my bills. My rent will only be a few days late.

My next stop was a little restaurant on Cuthbert Road that I've always wanted to try, Geneva's Pizza. It turned out to be very nice and clean on the inside, with pretty watercolors of Italy. A couple of what looked like workers from the White Horse Pike were enjoying lunch there when I arrived, chatting and watching some dumb talk show. The man-and-woman pair who ran the place were very sweet and attentive. I enjoyed French fries and a turkey and bacon wrap with thick slices of smoky bacon that tasted like they came from a slab, not one a bag in the supermarket.

Headed down Cuthbert Road to the Haddon Township Library next for this week's volunteering session. It was past 3PM by that point. I didn't want to stay for too long, so I just shelved adult and children's DVDs. I also finally got the nerve to mention to one of the librarians that I was interested in becoming a librarian myself, but wanted to find a related job to earn money for tutoring, so I could go back to school. She suggested becoming a library assistant or technician, which only requires a Civil Service test.

Made a quick stop at Super Fresh for low-fat salad dressing, then headed back to the apartment to conduct further research. Turns out library assistants mostly shelve books and add data into the system, which I happen to be very good at. They can earn anywhere from $8 to $16 an hour. I earn $11.80 at the Acme now, which is the only reason I haven't pushed harder to leave. I've been deathly afraid no one else will hire me for that amount of money so lacking in experience as I do. I'll do further research on Monday.

It was supposed to rain today, but the weather never got worse than gloomy clouds and tons of wind. The rain was supposed to be worse tomorrow; we'll see what happens.

No comments: