Sunday, October 11, 2009

Magic Bars and Real Strawberry Ice Cream

I was up around 8, surprisingly early for a Sunday. I don't usually get up until 10 or later on Sundays. I wrote in my journal and finished Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds, enjoying the cool, sunny day under my covers.

After I finally kicked myself out of bed, I ran my old Make Believe Ballroom (instrumental 20s jazz numbers) cassette and made Whole Wheat-Dark Chocolate Chip Pancakes for my special Sunday breakfast. I'd finished eating by the time the WOGL Beatles show was on. Grabbed my cell phone and called Mom as Bob Charger announced that today's theme was "The Beatles in 1966."

Mom herself seemed to be in a very good mood. She's heard from my sister Rose twice since last Sunday. Rose is feeling nauseous a lot...which is to say, other than major morning sickness, she's just fine. (She also mentioned Rose had asked for her recipe for the "magic bars" blondies she used to make for family parties, for reasons I discovered later.)

My other sister Anny is NOT fine. Mom says she's been really feeling sick...and SHE'S not pregnant. She just moved, her son had to change schools, her other son was sick, she had a court battle over her younger son with his father, and she's been working while moving. Not to mention, her eating habits are terrible. She eats nothing but junk and meat...nor nothing at all. Mom's worried that she may be coming down with pneumonia. I had that when I was 12 years old, and it's NOT fun.

I cleaned up breakfast, threw together a small lunch, and headed to work. Work was busy when I got in, steady-to-dead when I left, and not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It might be partly because tomorrow is Columbus Day and a lot of people have off...but I think it was mostly due to the Eagles kicking the Buccaneers' rear ends, 33-14. (The Giants were nice enough to soften up the Raiders for us next week, too.)

Picked up buttermilk, skim milk, brown sugar, and oatmeal, then jumped on the bike. I was going to go straight home, but it was only about quarter after 5 by then. I decided to see if anyone was still around at Uncle Ken's and how the game went.

Yes, there were still people around. Dolores, Uncle Ken, two sets of Dolores' married children and their children, and my cousins Samantha and David and THEIR kids were all churning home-made strawberry ice cream on the porch when I arrived. I came inside just in time to get a taste. All the churning the kids complained about was worth it. It was the most delicious ice cream I ever tasted, sweet and creamy, with lots of big strawberry pieces.

Dolores said Rose and Craig were around earlier, but had already left by quarter after 5. No one could remember who brought the magic bars sitting on the counter, until I remembered that Mom had mentioned Rose begging for her recipe this morning. "Magic bars" are blondies made from condensed milk, coconut, chocolate chips, and cookie crust. They are some of the most divine cookies on the planet. Rose's buddies used to consume them in mass quantities at family parties when we were in high school and college.

I watched the kids run around for a little longer, until I'd finished my soda and ice cream and got tired of trying to dissuade them from riding my bike. Headed home after that, waving good-bye to Sam and her crew on the way out. Just finished a small salmon and salad dinner and this week's Dress Circle. ("Musicals about boy bands/male vocal groups," was the theme. Spotlighted shows included Forever Plaid, Five Guys Named Moe, Alter Boyz, and of course, Jersey Boys.)

I'm going to do the laundry tomorrow on a very, very rare holiday that I didn't ask for off.

No comments: