Sunday, October 04, 2009

Town Pride

Awoke to an absolutely gorgeous Sunday, the nicest day I've seen here in weeks. I made Cocoa Whole Wheat Pancakes and listened to WOGL's Sunday Beatles show. ("The Songs of John Lennon" was today's theme.) Called Mom after finishing breakfast. She's fine. She spent the week working and helping my sister, Anny, and her son Skylar move to the Villas, about 25 minutes from their old apartment in North Wildwood. Dad is partially helping Anny pay the rent...on the condition that, after a year, she's either gone back to school or found a higher-paying job than her current one at Big Lots in North Cape May. Skylar had to be pulled out of Margaret Mace School as well and re-started in Memorial School in the Villas.

It was such a nice day, I left early, as soon as Brunch With the Beatles was over. There were two rare Sunday yard sales down the street from me. One was the sale on Woodland Terrace I had to leave in a hurry yesterday due to the rain. No such problems today. I finally picked up two more records (the soundtracks for the first Ghostbusters movie and Good Morning, Vietnam) and a stuffed Blastoise Pokemon from the sale at Woodland Terrace and three children's books for Skylar and my cousin Faith from Manor Avenue.

Oaklyn's "Town Picnic" was behind the Oaklyn Public (Elementary) School from 12 to 4 this afternoon. I've never been able to go to it before. I usually work early on Sundays. I took advantage of my later start to join the festivities. It was a free barbecue/fair put on by the school's PTA. In addition to the usual barbecue fixings, like burgers and hot dogs and cole slaw and baked beans, there were soft pretzels, potato chips, sausage, shredded chicken, and tons of sauerkraut! The baked goods table was piled high with cupcakes in all sizes, chocolate cake, brownies, butterscotch spice cookies, and spice cake. I stuffed myself with a shredded chicken sandwich, cole slaw, a soft pretzel, and lots of those butterscotch spice cookies. (They were really good, rich and moist, topped with icing and what I believe to be butterscotch chips.) There was a woodworking booth, several raffles, live bands, and even a pony ride for the kids.

For some reason, I thought I had to work at 1PM, but I really wasn't due until 1:30. I spent that half-hour reading Time Magzine. I might as well have stuck to Time. Work was steady but not really busy, especially for a Sunday. Between a beautiful, sunny day, the many fall festivals and events (like the Town Picnic) planned for this weekend, and this being the Eagles' week off, we had plenty of help and no long lines. I even spent the last hour doing returns.

I got off at 5:30. That gave me enough time to buy milk, eggs (Eggland's Best was having a rare sale), and Smart Balance butter, and still get home in time to have a nice dinner of pan-fried Old Bay flounder and a salad and listen to the full Dress Circle online. ("The Shows of October" was their theme tonight.) And as of this second, I have tomorrow off...and it's supposed to be even more gorgeous.

No comments: