Tuesday, October 06, 2009

What's Out There

I slept in and spent the morning watching Fairie Tale Theater episodes. Ran through two comic Hans Christian Anderson tales (The Emperor's New Clothes and The Princess and the Pea), the more romantic Anderson story (Thumbelina), and a very cute adaptation of several Grimm tales, The Princess Who Never Laughed. The importance of comedy in the 80s came up in the wide range of comedians who appeared in many of these stories, from Art Carney and Alan Arkin in New Clothes to Howie Mandel in Princess Who Never Laughed to Tom Conti in Princess and the Pea.

Also made a splendid "Fruit Bake" that came out of this month's Prevention. It's basically a cross between a brown betty and a bar cookie - rub butter, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, spices, and a little white sugar together. Put half the rub on the bottom of a pan. Add fruit (the recipe called for pears, but I used what I had on me, two apples and an overripe peach), then sprinkle the second layer and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Came out very tender and yet nicely crumbly.

I did a little job research in the early afternoon. I didn't come up with much. I've read in several places that many library jobs are in demand right now, but I didn't see any specific jobs listed. I wish there was a way to get my foot in the door and still be able to earn a living.

I NEED to find a real job SOON, because the Acme is driving me nuts. People were cranky today, and I ended up cranky, too. One guy swore that his order suddenly jumped ten dollars in two seconds. (I think he just wasn't paying attention.)

No comments: