Friday, October 16, 2009

Rainy Day Blues

I spent much of this morning refilling the cookie jar and watching Get Smart. Made Lemonade Cookies from the low-fat baking cookbook I bought yesterday. Larrabee, the chief's right-hand man who is almost as incompetent as Max, joins the crew in the mid-4th season. This is also when Max and 99 finally tie the knot. "With Love and Twitches," the wedding episode, is cute (especially the fight right before the wedding and the car chase), but some of the episodes afterwards are a great deal of fun, too. My favorites were "Hooray for Hollywood" (Max's "acting" was hilarious), and "The Day They Raided the Knights." (You've never lived until you've seen Larrabee and the Chief in drag.)

Ran to the Oaklyn Post Office early in the afternoon to send Lauren her birthday present. It was still raining, gloomy, and cold, but it wasn't raining that hard. It still wasn't later on, so I opted for taking the bike to work instead of begging a ride this time.

I got some bad news at work. My schedule for next week is lousy, only 18.75 hours, and Wednesday is until 9:30. I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't pick up hours next week. I will get a little money from raking, but that's not going to pay my rent.

Work was a bit of a pain tonight in other ways. The nasty weather (and the Phillies losing to the Dodgers) made quite a few people cranky. The head front end manager was training new cashiers as well, and I spent an hour putting things away and doing random chores while they worked. What I don't understand is, if they can't afford to give the cashiers they already have more hours, why are they adding new ones?

(They're even cutting back on store hours. We're now opened 7-11 on weekdays. Same 7-10 on Sundays. Frankly, I don't know why we were opened until midnight anyway. It's rarely busy that late. The Wildwood Acme is only opened until 9 at this time of year, which seems a lot more sensible to me.)

Oh, and I bought a package of Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Spice Cookies mix. I don't usually use the cookie mixes (and I haven't been using any kind of baking mixes as often lately), but I love spice cookies, pumpkin, and limited edition holiday flavors. I baked them as bar cookies tonight. They came out very moist and flavorful.

No comments: