Saturday, September 24, 2011

Across the Wide Township

Started off a cloudy, humid Saturday with the American Top 40. We headed to 1975 for a round of folk, country, hard rock, R&B, and novelty tunes, including Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz," Helen Reddy's "Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady," Glenn Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy," Earth Wind & Fire's "Hearts Afire," the gag number "Mr. Jaws" (a spoof of that summer's blockbuster movie), Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic?", and Orleans' "Dance With Me." The number #1 hit that late September was John Denver's "I'm Sorry."

Though there was only a small shower, the bad weather did keep the yard sales at bay. There were barely any on East Clinton's street-wide yard sale. Audubon's town-wide yard sale did have more, but the rain and my 1PM shift threatened, and I didn't get to check out as many as I would have liked. I just came home with Felix the Cat: The Movie on DVD and four records:

Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Linda Rondstat - Heart Like a Wheel

George Thurgood and the Destroyers - Maverick

A collection of holiday music simply titled A Christmas Album

I also hit the farm market. The constant rain has ended many crops early (corn, peaches) and has damaged others (pumpkins, squash)...but it's graced us with some absolutely delicious small Gala apples. I've never had such sweet, juicy little apples. I decided to try Rainbow Swiss Chard and type of green/orange Heirloom cherry tomato. In addition to the apples, I restocked on pears and carrots. Decided to try an avocado from the wholesaler booth, since I loved the one Mom sliced up for a snack when I visited Cape May County a few weeks ago.

Went home and listened to records for a little while, then headed to work. Work was on and off busy. There were no major problems with customers, but my feet felt horrible. I tried the wrap bandage I bought the other day, but no matter how I wrapped it, it always seemed to be too tight and hurt my foot even worse. I finally took it off all together after the end of my shift.

It was still a little humid when I got outside, but much cooler. The clouds were starting to dissapate, revealing a glorious sunset rippled with shades of lavender and orange over the White Horse Pike. I had debated where I was going to eat during work, but the sunset answered my question. Mother Nature was putting on a spectacular show, and who was I to tune her out?

I had a chicken sandwich, onion rings, and a cherry limeade at Sonic. It was a really nice evening. Teenage boys chattered in back of me, while the beauty of nature glowed in front. Between the boys, the 50s music playing on Sonic's radio station, and girls on roller blades bringing customers their orders, I felt like I was in an episode of Happy Days. I half-expected Fonzie to ride up to the drive-in window any second.

Did my grocery shopping after dinner. It was really just a small run. I needed to restock brown sugar, eggs, chocolate chips, parchment paper, frozen juice concentrate, and applesauce.

No comments: