Wednesday, September 07, 2011

I'm On My Way

It was dark and cloudy when I woke up this morning, but the sun was starting to come out even as I finished my packing. When I started down the street to City Hall, where the bus to Lindenwauld picks up, the sun was overhead and it was hot, humid, and muggy, far more so than it has been in almost a month.

Thank goodness that was the worst that happened during the entire four-and-a-half-hour trip to Cape May County. In fact, the only other minor problem was part of the NJ Transit train platform at the Lindewauld station was closed. It took me a few minutes to figure out where the temporary entrance was. I had a half-hour layover there, so I had plenty of time.

I packed a lunch this morning and ate it at the same place I did last year, the patio next to Starbucks at the Walk Outlet stores in Atlantic City. Though it was still hot and humid in AC, it wasn't as bad as that morning. I had a pleasant time eating my chicken sandwich, listening to Harry Connick Jr. piped in from Starbucks, and watching the shoppers and gamblers stroll by.

Mom picked me up at the Dunkin' Donuts in Rio Grande around quarter of 3. We ran a few errands in the Shop Rite shopping center down the street, then went straight back to Mom's house. We chatted for a couple of hours and enjoyed a lovely snack of half of a tomato and avocado sandwich, strawberries, and Mom's divine chocolate chip bar cookies.

Dad came home around 5ish, and my sister Anny and her son Skylar arrived home shortly after. Skylar's a lot of fun. We played with his Duplo (large Legos for little kids) Toy Story train and a smaller train, and he showed me his huge purple Nerf gun (the thing is literally bigger than he is, and Sky's above-average tall for a seven-year-old). Dad and Anny mostly napped while NCIS blared in the background.

We all had pizza for dinner. Most of the local pizza parlors are awesome. Anny and Skylar requested a white broccoli pie, their favorite. Mom, Dad, and I had a half-pepperoni, half-peppers-and-mushroom pie. They were soo tasty.

Dad got called to the fishing boat he works at after dinner. (Something about a broken lock - he didn't sound too happy.) Skylar showed me the photos his mother took of him, her, and her friend when they visited upstate New York near Lake Ontario a few weeks ago. They were absolutely gorgeous, especially the shots Anny got of an amazing sunset on a cliff where a really nice playground was.

When Skylar started climbing on his mother, we knew it was time for him to go home. He has school tomorrow, and his mom works the graveyard shift at Big Lots in North Cape May. I'm going to go downstairs and get some ice cream. Tomorrow, it sounds like we're either going to go shopping in Cape May or explore the big wicker store nearby.

No comments: