Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Caring Is What Counts

I normally try to avoid doing the Haddon Township Library run on work days, but I had DVDs due and I really couldn't wait for my next day off, which is Friday. As it happened, I'm glad I did. For one thing, the ride to and from the library was utterly gorgeous. It was sunny, breezy, and warm but not hot or humid when I headed out on the bike late this morning. Newton River Park was just gorgeous. There were so many people out walking, biking, and jogging, I ended up riding on the street.

There was plenty to do at the library, too. I shelved piles and piles of DVDs. The children's DVDs badly needed to be re-organized. There were lots of kids' books to put away, too. I ended up taking out another Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD Mickey's Great Outdoors, another Care Bears Team "movie" Share Bear Shines, and the first live-action movies I've rented from the library in ages, The King's Speech and The Social Network.

Made a brief stop at Super Fresh on the way home. I desperately need gel inserts for my work sneakers. I'm hoping they'll help my poor, hurting feet. They had cupcake papers for 50 cents, so I got those, too.

I got home with enough time to have leftovers for lunch and watch Share Bear Shines. Actually, I wish I'd found this one first, before The Giving Festival Movie and Care Bears to the Rescue, since it introduces the character of Princess Starglo and the Care Team concept. Share Bear is upset when the other Care Bears claim to not believe in the story of Princess Starglo or how she transforms twinklets into full-fledged stars. Share Bear takes off with her new twinklet friend Glimmer to prove the others wrong. She does find the princess and Glitter City, but the Princess, who is losing power now that no one believes in her, brushes her off.

Meanwhile, Bedtime Bear has noticed that the sun and stars no longer seem to be shining in Care-a-Lot, and the night is never-ending. He sends Cheer, Funshine, and Grumpy off in search of Share, the Princess, and the answer to the mystery of the disappearing stars.

Frankly, I'm still not sold on the Care Team idea. Princess Starglo was nothing but obnoxious to Share until she and the others finally convinced her to see her problems from a different perspective. I don't think the Care Bears really work as superheroes, either. American Greetings probably should have just revamped the entire franchise in 2009 after it became obvious that Adventures In Care-a-Lot was finished its run.

(And as I mentioned, it looks like this one is set well before either The Giving Festival or Care Bears to the Rescue. Try to get this one first if you or your kids are interested in the Care Team movies.)

Work went quite smoothly this evening, despite working late. It was steady until about 8PM, after which it died very quickly. I was in and out with no problems.

I'm not sure if I'll be online or not. My Verizon internet is ending tomorrow, but I forget when. Comcast is supposed to be in on Friday morning to set up my new Internet. If I'm not in tomorrow, have a great one!

No comments: