Sunday, October 02, 2011

That's the Way that Oaklyn Had It's Picnic

I awoke to a cloudy, windy, nicely fall-ish day. Ran Brunch With the Beatles while making Gingerbread Pancakes for breakfast. The album Revolver was in the spotlight. This was one of the Beatles first excursions into wacky 60s psychedelic sounds, with songs like "And Your Bird Can Sing," "Yellow Submarine," "Tomorrow Never Knows," and "Love You To." The big hits were "Eleanor Rigby" and "Good Day Sunshine." Tried to get a hold of Mom, but I got the answering machine.

Watched some Backyardigans, then headed out to this year's annual Oaklyn Town Picnic. Oaklyn has free food, crafts, a bounce house, live music, and fire truck rides in the grassy area behind the Oaklyn School. There wasn't as much food as last year, no bake sale and not a lot of barbecue. There was enough for me, though. I had a burger, cole slaw, a Cherry Coke Zero, and a slice of store-bought cake.

I still had fun, though. I picked up free Sonic the Hedgehog and Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers/Darkwing Duck comics from the Oaklyn Library's table. I put stickers on a tin can filled with beans at Studio LuLoo's craft booth. (Some of the kids were covering glass bottles with glitter, glue, and pieces of colored tissue paper. Very pretty - I loved the one that was all red glitter - but I never would have been able to carry it on the bike with me.) I listened to the local band cover Beatles and Bruce Springsteen songs. I watched the kids gather around two clowns making balloon objects. Little kids got animals. Older boys had swords. Girls had flowers or wands with heart tops. Pre-teens sported wacky balloon hats.

Went straight to work after the picnic. Work was busy for most of the night, right up until 6, after which it died very quickly. So did the Eagles game, from what I heard. The Eagles were apparently winning for the first half, but it fell apart quickly and they eventually lost to the 49ers, 24-23.

Went straight home after work. I made tilapia with mushrooms and onions and a salad for dinner and finished up my new Backyardigans DVD. Of the four episodes on The Snow Fort, the title show and "The Yeti" are new to me. Both revolve around Tasha, Pablo, Uniqua, and Tyrone chasing each other around snowy settings. "The Snow Fort" has the boys as Mounties guarding a giant snowball in the aforementioned fort. The girls are ski patrollers who think the boys need rescuing. In "The Yeti," Tasha, Tyrone, and Uniqua explore the Artic while chasing what they think is a Yeti...but is really Pablo gobbling raisins and goofing around.

I did finally get a hold of Mom right after dinner. She was tired and not in the best mood. There's a lot going on at my parents' house right now. She did suggest getting my foot looked at. I was hoping it would just heal on its own...but the heel and just above it continue to be sore. My feet will hurt so badly when I get home from work, I can barely stand on it. She suggested getting gel inserts for the heel and maybe seeing a doctor.

No comments: